Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rework of Mars from 30/11/22

Kon

Being clouded out for the past few days, I reworked my Mars from the 30 November capture.  The workflow is almost exclusively in image analyzer. Thanks to Stuart,  @Space Cowboy, for taking the time to help me on the new workflow and feedback behind the scenes 😉. This is just a single capture rather than the winjupos stack of 6 movies; it seems that any sharpening that I was using in AS!3 was really enhancing the edge rind; this has no sharpening apart from 15% wavelets in registax. I like the natural look of it compared to what I previously posted (looking back at the original post, it looks quite posterised/artificial). Happy for further criticism as always. First is original capture size and second 150% resized.

Mars_new-k2.png.76684d5ea205410d0e871094b4ae14ab.pngMars_new-k2r.png.4cf89a718975bbf2016695d84a4d61a5.png

• Like 13

20 minutes ago, Barv said:

Both look lovely Kon, personally, I prefer the larger image scale

Cheers

Harvey

Thanks Harvey. I feel with the new 'softer' processing the larger image looks as good as the original scaled one.

18 minutes ago, yelsac said:

Love how natural it looks, I keep over processing mine but it's true that less is more.

When you say 15% sharpening in registax is that just the top slider?

Thanks. Yes getting a feeling for the more natural look is taking a bit of time. I think we are always drawn to 'sharper' images even if the data do not really support them. Yes top slider to 15 in 'Preview'.

57 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Looking good! Glad to help out a fellow Dobber 😉

I have learned a lot and really appreciate the time you took with me. Thursday night is looking good for the opposition, let's see what we can get.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

+1 for it looking natural, I like the look and tone as though I were seeing it on approach, nice work!

Thanks. Yes much much happier with the new image. Let's see if the promised clear sky on opposition holds.

15 minutes ago, Kon said:

I have learned a lot and really appreciate the time you took with me. Thursday night is looking good for the opposition, let's see what we can get.

I enjoyed it, you've got some good data there. Yes looks promising this week. Proper clear nights and high pressure system.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Looking good natural all the way

Thanks Neil. Stuart really helped with getting me to get a feeling of what's a more natural looking Mars and still maintain the details, the same way you helped me with Jupiter. It's great having you guys around who are willing to help.

• Like 2

That's an excellent rework Kostas, a very natural result, but still with plenty of detail coming through; the 150% resized wins it for me. I really think that I need to take a look at both Image Analyser and Astro Surface as those are a couple of tools that I see being increasingly used with excellent results. I think @neil phillips  tried to push me towards both of them a while back, but I'm an old git that's a bit stuck in my ways.....🙄🤣

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

That's an excellent rework Kostas, a very natural result, but still with plenty of detail coming through; the 150% resized wins it for me. I really think that I need to take a look at both Image Analyser and Astro Surface as those are a couple of tools that I see being increasingly used with excellent results. I think @neil phillips  tried to push me towards both of them a while back, but I'm an old git that's a bit stuck in my ways.....🙄🤣

Thanks Geof. As I said, we are blessed having several imagers here including  yourself giving advise out. I quite like the workflow that Stuart gave me. I like experimenting with all the software but as I am finding out, if the data is crap, you get crap back 🤣.  Let's see how the weather holds for this Thursday. I hope you escaped the virus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Geof. As I said, we are blessed having several imagers here including  yourself giving advise out. I quite like the workflow that Stuart gave me. I like experimenting with all the software but as I am finding out, if the data is crap, you get crap back 🤣.  Let's see how the weather holds for this Thursday. I hope you escaped the virus.

Thanks Kostas, unfortunately the virus got us both, we tested +ve this morning after feeling increasing unwell over the weekend. We both feel really crap currently, so I’m now not sure if I’ll be well enough to venture out in the cold on Thursday morning - the forecast is for it to be -6C to -7C and the lunar occultation of Mars will be when it’s at its coldest. Between us my wife and I had 6 separate appointments scheduled this week (medical, dental, hairdresser, etc.), which we’ve had to cancel, or reschedule. We also have our grandson and his girlfriend here and they’re both now also feeling unwell, so it’s a bit of a plague house here currently….:sad2:

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Kostas, unfortunately the virus got us both, we tested +ve this morning after feeling increasing unwell over the weekend. We both feel really crap currently, so I’m now not sure if I’ll be well enough to venture out in the cold on Thursday morning - the forecast is for it to be -6C to -7C and the lunar occultation of Mars will be when it’s at its coldest. Between us my wife and I had 6 separate appointments scheduled this week (medical, dental, hairdresser, etc.), which we’ve had to cancel, or reschedule. We also have our grandson and his girlfriend here and they’re both now also feeling unwell, so it’s a bit of a plague house here currently….:sad2:

I am really sorry to hear.It sounds awful but I hope the symptoms get better. I hope you manage a quick session this week but like you said it's looking pretty cold. I wish you all a speedy recovery!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

Fantastic images of Mars Kostas👏

Your astrophotography skills are growing in leaps and bounds! 

Thanks Joe. You are very kind. After the opposition I plan to have a sort break from planet imaging as I want to go back to observing some of the winter nebulas.

• Like 1