Narrowband

Weird communication problem

petevasey

Hi, guys.

A few years ago my broadband provider (EE) upgraded my system and in doing so provided a new router (EE Hub-hxC4).   Which is fine.    I use Teamviewer (version 7) to 'talk' to my Observatory computer with no problems.  My desktop is Windows 7 Home Premium, my Obsy unit is a little XP net top.  Which happily does all I ask of it.  I also have an XP laptop and netbook.   So for a while now I have taken my spare router (EE Bright Box) to star parties and again happily used the netbook to keep an eye on the laptop which is outside doing the imaging. 

Now I recently bought a much more powerful refurbished laptop with Windows 7 Pro.  Great machine, and runs image processing software which wouldn't work in XP.  But things aren't going so well with Teamviewer.  The new laptop happily logs on to the old one and the netbook using the Bright Box, but the reverse is not the case.   Will not log on, never mind control.  I've tried various configurations to no avail, and even my W7 desktop won't connect to the new laptop using the Bright Box although again the laptop does control the desk top.  But with the Bright Box my desktop will control the XP laptops and vice versa.  To add further confusion, there is no problem when using the newer router.  All this means that when the time comes to retire the old laptop which (like me!) is showing its age, I won't be able to use the new laptop for imaging at star parties with my netbook watching it.

So to summarise....

New EE Hub router, no problems at all.

Old Bright Box router, new laptop will control both desktop and XP machines, but not the other way round.  So it would seem the problem lies somewhere in the new laptop which won't accept control via the Bright Box, although it is happy with the EE Hub.

HELP!!

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter.

As you probably know, TeamViewer doesn’t officially support connections to Windows Xp systems via their servers so it’s an aberration that you’ve managed to get that side working at all.

For your “new” Windows 7 laptop the problem might be that TeamViewer’s server requires transport protocol TLS1.2 to be enabled but in Windows 7 only the older transport protocol TLS1.0 is enabled by default, to enable TLS1.2 on Windows 7 you must have the Microsoft update “Service Pack 1 for Windows 7” installed, then run a small patch file and finally make a manual addition/change in Windows registry.

The Microsoft document linked below describes the steps required, unfortunately the language is aimed at system level administrators and not end users but the key parts are the instruction that the Microsoft update “Service Pack 1 for Windows 7” must be installed, so you need to check that your refurbished Windows 7 laptop has been updated to that level, then at the bottom of the document under the “Easy Fix” paragraph, in the first line of that paragraph there is an embedded link to a executable file that when run should add the necessary protocol entries for you and enable TLS1.2.

Finally, at the very end of the document under the “Enable TLS 1.1 and 1.2 on Windows 7 at the SChannel component level” heading there are described two Windows Registry DWORD entries that you must make manually if they are missing, or configure accordingly if they are present.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-winhttp-in-windows-c4bd73d2-31d7-761e-0178-11268bb10392#bkmk_easy

Sorry that the above does not quite chime with your “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” philosophy 🤨 but these kinds of annoyances are to be expected when running unsupported OS’s.

Hope the above fixes the issue for you!

William.

Thanks very much for responding,  William.

But I'm not sure this is the solution.  Remember that the  system works as expected both ways when using the newer router.  And in my tests, I'm not using a Teamviewer server - the routers are not connected to the internet.  Also I am using a very old version (7) of Teamviewer precisely to get around the XP problems.  Both W7 computers appear to have Service Pack 1.

Hmmm. Nevertheless I'll look into the TLS approach.  Can't do it at the moment - have to go out.

Cheers,

Peter

If all your older devices were set up to use TeamViewer using the old router, but your new laptop was only set up under the new router,  that might explain why the old router can't get remote access to it. 

Might it be worth a try to swap over your home network router to the old one and reinstall TeamViewer on the new laptop?

Not confident at all that it'll work, but you never know.

Problem solved - couldn't have been easier, just had to look in the right place.

I suppose I was pointed in the wrong direction by the older router not working when the new one did.  I tried an even older router, which had to be put in pairing mode first, but still only one way.  I'd checked Windows firewall and Teamviewer had added itself to that as ok.  But didn't realise that the firewall on the basic Avast anti virus on the new laptop needed to be manually set to 'trust' the different networks.  Did that for both older routers, and all is well.  A bit like Gfamily's suggestion 😀  Almost a kick self situation.  But thankfully all is now well - roll on my next star party!

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by petevasey