Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any ideas on what might be in this guy's video? Satellites? But what kind...

pipnina

So he says there were 21 exposure of 15 seconds which is 315 seconds. But he says they were taken over 9 minutes (540 seconds). This implies there was around 11 seconds between each exposure. So from his timelapse, the objects were moving a considerable distance in the 11 seconds between exposures but were not moving at all (implied by the fact they were pinpoints, no trailing) during the 15 seconds of the exposure. This seems a bit odd. 

One possible explanation is that that it could be a single object that ‘flashes’ at a regular interval which results in two flashes during the 15 second exposure, making it look like two objects. If it was a single 9 minute exposure perhaps we would get one long dotted line rather than one long trail?  That might explain the effects, but what could produce it? Doesn’t seem to be a tumbling satellite type of effect. Can geostationary satellites flash? 

The alternative is that it is something else in the imaging train - reflection, etc. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1

I'd assume Starlink first, then maybe a doublet (I visually caught a triangular formation Chinese triplet once - freaked me out at first 😉).

Also wonder if he checked Heavens Above, etc. to see what was visible at that time.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1