Narrowband

Camera nosepiece size

Hi, I’m still learning AP but would like to know what overall difference the diameter of my camera nosepiece makes. I’ve recently bought a ZWO ASI 585MC camera and it’s connected to my Altair 60EDF telescope with M42/M48 spacers, which then connect to the 0.8 reducer. I’d like to add a UV/IR filter, so my dilemma is -

1. do I purchase a filter drawer (and replace a section of the spacer train) - which is going to cost about £80 PLUS a the cost of a 2” filter.

2. do I remove the reducer and go back to a standard focuser setup, but attach a spare 1.25” filter (that I already have) to the supplied 1.25” nosepiece that came with the camera.

I don’t know what difference in quality a 1.25” nosepiece makes, when compared to a M42 to M48 spacer setup. Thanks in advance 🙂

I have the Player One Uranus-C camera which is almost identical to the ASI585. The sensor diagonal measures 12.9mm on these cameras which easily fits inside a 1.25" barrel.

When not using a reducer I just keep a 1.25" nosepiece on the camera and fit that to my 1.25" filter wheel, with the filter wheel fitted to the scope (a 72mm APO) via a 2" nosepiece.

When using a reducer (x0.6) I fit the camera directly to the 1.25" filter wheel via an M42 male to male adaptor and then use M42 spacers to get the back focus right for the reducer. I do this partly because it is easier to set the correct back focus and partly so that the filter is close to the camera sensor so that it doesn't interfere with the light cone.

With this arrangement I don't get any vignetting.

I'd strongly recommend an electronic filter wheel by the way as you are likely to want to use different filters and they make changing filters easy (under computer control, from indoors, with the filter chose automatically recorded with the captured image).

• Like 1