Narrowband

First observation session

Jbwz

It's been a few days since my first telescope arrived and there was 100% cloud coverage for the past week or so. 

Today was my first lucky day. Even though there are still a lot of clouds, I was able to observe moon and Jupiter with its 4 moons.

I've been observing from inside of the flat (luckily, one of the windows facing ~140° SE)

Not owning a mount & tripod yet (table top dobsonian), I had to be creative by putting one bedtable on top of another one to improve observation experience.

I've tested svbony eyepiece set (4/10/23mm) I've got to replace stock eyepieces and few filters (moon / uhc).

I had very good experience observing moon with all eyepieces though with 4mm it was a little hard to focus. Very nice, defined shadows of craters.

Also seen Jupiter with my own eyes for the first time. With 23mm I saw just a bright, yelowee/purplish dot being almost in straight line with 4 other, much smaller dots. With 10mm after my eyes got accustomed to viewing I've seen 2 biggest bands of Jupiter. 4mm was not a success, could not get enough focus to see fine details.

• Like 6

Observing from indoors isn't recommended, you're looking through glass and indoors there will be air currents to disrupt things too. Probably at least part of the reason your 4mm wasn't very successful ,although our UK skies can also limit things. Good that you got to enjoy the views though!

• Like 1

~

Any observing is better than no observing - sometimes compromises must be made. So long as you're enjoying the experience, all is well. Please continue, and keep us posted.

• Like 1