SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

what OAG ?

What OAG can be recommended to use with edgehd 8 ,I have a loadestar X2 and I'm awaiting a new Poseidon C camera to use with it.

I will be using the .7 reducer.

Also will the ZWO EAF work on this setup ok ?

Edited by ninjageezer

I think any will do but you'd want the largest prism you can get due to the long focal length you'll be imaging at so better chance of picking up stars.

I believe the EAF works but you'll need a custom bracket for it to sit onto:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-eaf-bracket-for-celestron-c8-c925-sct-edge-hd-telescopes.html

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 31/05/2023 at 21:46, pmlogg said:

OK. 

The ZWO OAG-L 68mm is the other one that I was looking at.  It has a big mirror too, but the rectangular format of the Player One would be a good match for my guider.

Thanks

no worries i think on youtube maybe the man to ask .lukimoto ,,,i know he uses it.

Hi, I had this confusing sentence from Player One "FHD-OAG MAX is not support camera directly, it must work with Filter Drawer MAX. camera side of Filter Drawer MAX is M54/M48, not OAG."

Could you please you tell me what the fitment is on the camera side of the OAG?, are there any threads or is it just screws.  Might you be able to post an image of that side?

Thanks

• Like 1

On 30/05/2023 at 23:16, pmlogg said:

How is the Player One FHD-OAG-MAX?  I was just looking at it plus the M68 adapter

Looks great but you need to add your own rotators I am afraid. Also, unless u plan to use a monster guiding sensor, larger than the IMX174 (11.3mm x 7.1mm), 12mm prism size will do.

Edited by GTom

Since my post Player One have told me that the adapters, including the M68 will fit on either side of the OAG.  Their design has 6 holes at 30 degree spacing on both sides rather than the 4 used by some other manufacturers.  I reckon that would give me enough choice of positions to allow the prism to sit completely out of the light path reaching the imager. My guider is an Ultrastar, so the 14 x 8mm dimensions of the OAG mirror would be more than enough. The extra height of a 12x12mm would be more of a disadvantage than an advantage 

• Like 1

Did some more thinkering on the OAG-topic: indeed, the 14x8 prism sizing is probably the best on the market as it allows the guide sensor (12-8)/2= 2mm deeper in the light beam, hence it can collect better quality light. To achieve this on a conventional square prism oag, one should decenter the guiding camera, which is very finicky and need custom fittings.

Another factor though, OAG size: we (OP and mee too 😃) want to use it with an sct+reducer system: in a large oag the prism-guide cam distance is longer, meaning the OAG should go higher in the imaging train.

Edited by GTom