Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from the NorthWest UK

DMoon

Hi All

I'm close to Wigan if there are any fellow pie-eaters on here 🙂

I've already posted in the beginners forum but thought I would say hello here.

I'm an absaloute novice in this area. My son showed an interest in astronomy and suggested a scope for Christmas, buying a scope has been on my radar for some time so its probably going to be a joint gift! 

There is so much information about when choosing a scope, I must have decided on around 5 scopes before changing my mind... the price seemed to go up each time I changed my mind too! Decided on a Skywatcher 200P Dob, we won't travel much with it and we are only interested in visual astronomy for now.

In time it would also be good to attend a club meeting, I see there are lots of them locally, Bolton and Salford in particular.

I'll stop rambling now, looking forward to the steep learning curve ahead!

Thanks

• Like 7

Welcome. I hope you and your son have lots of fun. 🙂

I have to point out, though, that you are not in ‘Northwest UK’ you are in Northwest England, at best.

Edited by Floater

25 minutes ago, DMoon said:

Hi All

I'm an absaloute novice in this area. My son showed an interest in astronomy and suggested a scope for Christmas, buying a scope has been on my radar for some time so its probably going to be a joint gift! 

There is so much information about when choosing a scope, I must have decided on around 5 scopes before changing my mind... the price seemed to go up each time I changed my mind too! Decided on a Skywatcher 200P Dob, we won't travel much with it and we are only interested in visual astronomy for now.

In time it would also be good to attend a club meeting, I see there are lots of them locally, Bolton and Salford in particular.

Thanks

If you want to come in to Liverpool on Saturday 10th, there is a "50 years since Apollo 17" day at the Central Library and World Museum.  There are talks etc, and it's hoped that there'll be 7 or 8 Astro societies from around the area.  

It's being organised by the Liverpool AS, but if you drop by the Mid Cheshire AG table I'll say hello. 

If you and your son are into camping - I can thoroughly recommend going to a Star Party with your scope.  These are particularly good for people sharing advice, showing how they use kit and the like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2022 at 14:04, DMoon said:

Hi All

Thanks

Hi! and Welcome to SGL! I'm a relative novice too. Thats a belter telescope you have for visual. I'd suggest you take things slowly, get to understand the hobby at your own pace, and in time you will likely want to start taking pictures of what you can see. if you do, make sure you educate, educate, educate yourself! There's lots to learn! But the journey is what matters most in my humble opinion! I'm having a great time, albeit at times pulling my hair out because i am such a dope! haha! 

On 30/11/2022 at 14:04, DMoon said:

Hi All

Thanks

Hello , welcome! Not to far away in Staffordshire.  

I have the 200p and it's a great scope! Upgrade the eyepiece and you have a very good scope

• 4 months later...