Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tools Required for Collimation

Hello everyone, 

I'm new to this hobby, zero experience with telescopes but willing to learn.

After a weekend of researching what scope to buy I finally made a decision and ordered a Skywatcher dob 200p, it was well over my budget but hopefully I've made the right choice!

I'm at the top of my budget but have ordered the scope with chart, moon filter and collimation cap. After going over budget, I wanted to know if spending further money on a Cheshire eyepiece is necessary at this time? And if it is, would you spend the extra on something like the StellaLyra eyepiece.

I'd hate to get the scope and then realise I needed this extra bit of kit. I have watched video's and read tutorials (small optics on youtube is great), but without having any first hand experience I can't decide if its needed.

Thanks

• Like 1

My first scope was a 200p, it was fine right out of the box and did not need collimating to start with or for long time after, if you have trouble with using just the cap see if there is a local astronomy club near you (assuming you have transport) and nip along with your scope, someone will have a Cheshire or laser collimator.  I'm sure they will be glad to help.  

I think you made a very good if not an excellent choice, but that will depend upon how successful the collimation procedure goes; if urgent, as when wanting to see Saturn, up close, clear and sharp, at 200x and beyond.

The Cheshire you see online has cross-hairs, for centring the secondary-mirror directly underneath the draw-tube of the focusser...

z71Atd6.jpg

You can simply determine the centring by eye instead...

830340051_secondarymirror.jpg.1dd8372f9554f49e35d02caf39a5e1d7.jpg

Is that near enough?  Then to get the StellaLyra eyepiece.

I mostly do AP with a SW 200dps on an EQ mount, but recently got a very old 2nd hand SW 200p dob for visual use. Collimation was some way off but it still gave pretty good views. You should be fine with the collimation cap for some time I think.

On my imaging 200dps it held it's collimation for about the first year of use.

Cheers
Ivor

Thanks for the replies, I'll hold off getting the eyepiece for now.

I'm based near Manchester UK so there are a few local clubs. Once I get some experience with the scope I'll certainly be looking at going to one of their meetings.

Thanks wulfrun, 

I have read these guides a few times, I agree the one at garyseronik.com is very good....

https://garyseronik.com/a-beginners-guide-to-collimation/ 

https://www.astro-baby.com/astrobaby/help/collimation-guide-newtonian-reflector/

I also watched a few videos on the Small Optics YouTube channel.

Just like when researching the scope, it can be information overload!

I have a 200p Dob and managed  to collimate it as a complete beginner just using the cap. The telescope was second hand and way off when I got it. Mind, it was frustrating at first and took some time. But as someone said me “it’s a bit like learning to ride a bike”. Now it’s second nature, so you’ll be fine!

I do now have a Cheshire plus a cap. For me the Cheshire allows a tad more accuracy but you could argue that it makes the process more complicated - there’s more going on when you look through it. And I’m not convinced that the tiny bit of accuracy has actually improved the views in any way that, in practice,  I can notice.

I have a 150PDS that I bought in part to check how I got on with a Newtonian. Before I bought it, I was concerned that collimation might be tricky, but it is actually very straightforward. I use a laser collimator with a 45° target (this one) and follow the procedure described in this YouTube video.

Adjusting the secondary mirror can be a bit tricky as its adjustment screws don't allow fine movement but I have only had to do this once. I adjust the primary mirror every time and it is very easy as the 45° target can be pointed towards the bottom of the scope enabling me to see it while adjusting the mirror.

I bought this one from Amazon which is more than likely identical to the rvo one:

Telescope Laser Collimator 1.25inch, Bysameyee Calibrator with 2’’ Adapter for Newtonian Reflector Telescope Collimation https://amzn.eu/d/exrHvaQ

It has some rubber over the collimation bolts on it but is easily removed.  Collimating the laser is pretty easy

I very rarely have to adjust my secondary but bought some knurled bolts of eBay to replace the alen bolts that are in it.  Just don't loosen more than one bolt at a time.

Collimation is easier than you think and is a piece of cake with a cheap laser.

Dont over think collimation, after the second or third time it will become evident it was not worth sweating over lol.  I am surprised no one has mentioned getting some thumbscrews and replace the secondary mirror screws.  Then you tweak it by hand, no tools necessary.  Bobs Knobs seem to be the go to choice, but if you know the thread size you could probably find them cheaper at the local hardware store.  Might even consider changing the springs under the primary to something stiffer.  This really helps with holding collimation 

You should check that the laser itself is properly centred. Here's my easy way:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/400843-collimate-your-collimator-the-easy-way/#comment-4297466

I have an Astro Essentials laser from FLO and it turned out to be perfect straight out of the box.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/astro-essentials-125-laser-collimator.html

Edited by cajen2

9 hours ago, Mike Q said:

Dont over think collimation, after the second or third time it will become evident it was not worth sweating over lol.  I am surprised no one has mentioned getting some thumbscrews and replace the secondary mirror screws.  Then you tweak it by hand, no tools necessary.  Bobs Knobs seem to be the go to choice, but if you know the thread size you could probably find them cheaper at the local hardware store.  Might even consider changing the springs under the primary to something stiffer.  This really helps with holding collimation 

I did get some Bobs Knobs for my 200p but not initially. I could collimate it perfectly well without but they do make it easier. Then, at the same time, I did the “milk bottle mod”, which made it even easier.  Didn’t mention it as it’s a question of where do you stop. 

Unless it’s recently changed the Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dob doesn’t have springs for the primary. It has rubber grommets. I known people criticised this but I last adjusted my primary 9 months ago and have used the telescope regularly. Since then collimation hasn’t charged one bit. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it :) 

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1