Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New beginnings...

Hello. I have always been interested what's above. Then as I grew older and opened my mind and realized I cannot comprehend the vastness of space/time I just have to take a step back, relax and enjoy what I can. When I try to think about a light year, black hole, gravity, and I really concentrate - I have to take a breath and slow down before my electric impulses overload. :)

I'd love to see what kind of hardware I need to set something up in my backyard and do some gazing. Love to start with checking out some constellations and our friendly moon of course. I do not know if people like me can have some great optics that will actually allow my eyes to see a galaxy or would I just be looking at light spots? Anyway, in no big rush but love to start with something easy to use, powerful and has the technology to get my eyes closer so I can enjoy this beautiful universe. Even if it's just a bleep on the timeline and doesn't register. Thanks everyone. Enjoy to checking back.

Michael

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Very nice amateur equipment is now more affordable then ever (although there has been now general price rise, so everything is a bit more expensive than few years ago).

With just a bit of investment you can have equipment that will show you a lot. Planets and the moon, and wonders of the deep sky - galaxies, open and globular clusters and various nebulae in the sky.

In order to give you best advice on what to get, it would be good if you could provide more info on your condition and needs/wants.

For example: how light polluted is your back yard? Will you travel to darker spots so need something portable? What is your physical condition / fitness level. Could you manage larger instrument, or would something weighing 20Kg be too much to carry? Storage requirements? Transport requirements (do you have a car or maybe use a bike).

All those things will help give good recommendation.

When I started to take a serious interest in the skies I bought a decent pair of 10x50 binoculars, wrapped up warmly and relaxed in the garden on a reclining garden chair. Like this I spent many months just looking and taking it all in before I even thought about buying a telescope. 

Graeme

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MichaelDiggs said:

Hello. I have always been interested what's above. Then as I grew older and opened my mind and realized I cannot comprehend the vastness of space/time I just have to take a step back, relax and enjoy what I can. When I try to think about a light year, black hole, gravity, and I really concentrate - I have to take a breath and slow down before my electric impulses overload. :)

I'd love to see what kind of hardware I need to set something up in my backyard and do some gazing. Love to start with checking out some constellations and our friendly moon of course. I do not know if people like me can have some great optics that will actually allow my eyes to see a galaxy or would I just be looking at light spots? Anyway, in no big rush but love to start with something easy to use, powerful and has the technology to get my eyes closer so I can enjoy this beautiful universe. Even if it's just a bleep on the timeline and doesn't register. Thanks everyone. Enjoy to checking back.

Michael

Hi Michael, if you can give us an idea of the sort of budget you have in mind I'm sure a few of us can give you some pointers on the equipment front, it can range wildly from free with your eyes, to cheap binoculars, to exotic glass and expensive mounts.

If you start us off with a ballpark figure we can go from there 👍

17 hours ago, MichaelDiggs said:

Michael

Hi Michael, and welcome.

Do you live under dark or bright skies at night, or somewhere in between?  In either event, a reflector would be a great way to start.