SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen Sphinx SXD mount options for controlling?

kmaslin

Come across and old Vixen Sphinx SXD eq mount which had a Starbook 1 controller. This is over 15 years old and cant get the Starbook to work

Could replace the Starbook 1 for a Starbook 10 but they are over £800!

Has anyone managed to make a rig to control the Vixen mount?

Otherwise can try to sell the mount for visual work only as can handle a big scope eg 50lb

Hi @kmaslin

Just wondering how you are powering the star book? Is it with the original power supply? I ask, because Vixen stuff was often centre negative on the connector so if you have made up your own connector that may be why it’s not working. Apologies if you know all this already, just thought I would put it out there!

Cheers,

Stu

Oh that is weird. I didn't have the original power supply but just used a spare 12V 2A unit I had knocking about

Was chuffed when I first plugged it in and it fired up after 15+ years (don't think the unit was ever used) 

However after 3 or 4 times of testing it stopped - which means I might have fried it as am sure the normal PSU have +ve to central pin (confused that it did work?)

Will try the other way around - nothing to lose...

Starbook controller has an internal battery as well, to keep time and date etc when switched off. Bit of a long shot, but it may need replacing/resetting. The Vixen mains power adaptor I have is 12v DC 3amp, centre positive and has a polarity reversal lead. I used it to power my old Starbook controller, SXW mount and GP2 with DD3.

Also, this may sound daft, but the Starbook can be powered on its own to use as a portable planetarium and has a power input of its own for that. However, when controlling the mount, the power jack must be inserted into the mount not the controller.

The Starbook10 is not compatible with the 1st generation Sphinx mounts unfortunately. I have seen on occasion the original Starbook controller being sold secondhand on the Japanese classifieds.

1 hour ago, kmaslin said:

which means I might have fried it as am sure the normal PSU have +ve to central pin (confused that it did work?)

All the Sphinx mounts are center positive, it was only the motor controllers earlier than the DD3 that were center negative.

Hi 

Another possibility is the serial cable. Can you power up the mount and SB1, but nothing happens?

If so check the serial cable. Starboiok required a straight through cable, rather than the normally available cross over serial cable.  Th  current SB10 worked perfectly on my SXW when I had to replace the cable due to erratic behaviour.  Worth checking

Another Drizzle Dweller

• Like 1

I have never tried this with my SXD2/Ten,  but Sky Safari lists both the Sphynx and SXD as controlable mount types. The Vixen mount manuals are comprehensive, should have details of the Star Book connections. Firmware update requires a crossover ethernet cable. Good luck!

Power supply: on occasions when my 12v battery has got low the mount shuts itself down. When restarted after this it often wakes up in Tokyo and Japanese language!

Controllers work with or without internal battery, it just keeps the time and date going.

@kmaslinI think you may have the SXD with a Sphynx Star Book, these are not (to my memory) compatible with Starbook ONE (AP)  or Starbook TEN  (later SX). 

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1