SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The M96 Group and Leo Triplet!

Imahumanbeing

Hello everyone!

I tried to get some pictures of the Leo Triplet the other night and got around 2 hours worth of 15 second lights with 30 darks at ISO 1600 but because of bad tracking I ended up with 44 minutes. I stacked them in DSS and wasn't really expecting much so was very happy to see a tiny amount of a curl to the galaxy at the bottom of the picture! I also realised the galaxies appeared to be too far apart and then found out that I had got the wrong galaxies, I got the M96 Group instead!

So I tried again at getting the Leo Triplet last night and wanted to get 3 hours worth but ended up with just over 2 hours of 15 second lights, 30 darks, ISO 1600 and stacked in DSS. When it had stacked the picture looked very bleak at first but as I aligned the curves and turned up the saturation the galaxies appeared! I can't believe how much has come out using just 15 second exposures! I am very happy with this picture, very happy!;) I have turned the brightness and contrast up a bit and cropped it but thats all for now so I will take my time and have another go at it. I am very pleased!

Celestron 80ED on a Nexstar SLT GT mount with a Canon 1000D

Cheers

Jamie

IMG_SGL0001.jpg

IMG_SGL10001.jpg

post-15495-133877364269_thumb.jpg

post-15495-133877364277_thumb.jpg

Nice collection of galaxies you've got there, and I can see a fair amount of detail especially in the triplet - worth having a go at the gradients, if you can, to get even better results.

... and then found out that I had got the wrong galaxies, I got the M96 Group instead!
You're not the first one to make that mistake! I find it surprising - the two galaxy groups are not really that close together and look altogether different... Try and get M95 in frame too, if you have another go at this area.

Thanks very much everyone for the awesome comments!

661-Pete - I wish I had seen M95 at the time which should be to the lower right, then I would have realised I had the wrong galaxies!

Peter - It took so long I had to cancel it because it was so late and then start again the night after! I am still messing about with the picture and will post the result, it will probably be just a bit brighter than the other one.

Cheers!

Jamie

Archived