Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Balancing DEC with asymmetric loading

Hi all, 

Been happily using the Evostar 80ED and EQ6-R for a few months now with great results. Over the last month or so I've added the ASIAIR Plus and ZWO EAF to the rig. The air is mounted in the scope's finder slot with the EAF naturally out to the side on the focuser. This has obviously put the setup out of balance. I'm not too concerned here - the mount is more than capable of handling everything in this configuration being at only 35-40% of its rated capacity, but I'm curious to know how you guys have gone about making the best of balancing in this scenario. With the DEC clutch released the scope will settle pointing approximately 25° to the west of Polaris. 

You can either rotate the scope in the rings to give better balance or if, like me, you have the upgraded focuser with the built-in rotator then use that. 

I ended up with the EAF pointing down inline with the RA axis and then rotated the camera to where I wanted it. I just need to make sure the USB cable from the EAF doesn't get snagged on the mount. ;)

Edited by Budgie1
  • Like 1

ADM makes a nice counterweight option that you can connect to the dovetail: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-counterweight-kits/am-dvcw-sm-d-and-v-series-counterweight-with-side-mounted-option-and-3-threaded-rod.html

I have used this to balance a 4” refractor, and found consistently better guiding results once properly balanced, at least when shooting close to the home position/Polaris. The counterweight included by ADM was too heavy, so I ended up threading thick bolts and spacers onto the rod instead.

Edited by Hans Joakim