SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telescope Packing Suggestions

I'm about to sell a couple of scopes as I'm selling up (age not lack of enthusiasm)

I've an Equinox 120 which I've the case for so that shouldn't be a problem but I'm mainly concerned with my Equinox 80 which has no case.

I've looked around at packaging materials but can't really find anything that looks safe enough

Of course the ideal situation would be for me to state 'pick up only' but that does limit the market quite a bit

Has anybody any suggestions, tips  or any ideas, experiences,  that might help me?

Thanks

Martyn

I had to make a box for my dob OTA and so needed a massive box. I bought a large box from a storage locker shop, cut it to the size I wanted and then used contact adhesive to glue additional layers of cardboard to each face. Standard cardboard boxes aren't strong enough, hence the reason that there is a tendency for telescopes to arrive double or triple boxed. Inside I did have the original polystyrene inserts plus lots of bubble wrap. 

The carpet tube idea is a good one as the tube would be substantially thicker than a standard box and the shape would help too. However, I think I'd still be inclined to put the round tube inside a rectangular box to prevent it rolling around during transport.

You can buy insulation board in various thicknesses from builders merchants and some DIY stores. Here is a link to Wickes.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Kay-Metzeler-General-Purpose-Polystyrene-EPS70---2400mm-x-1200mm-x-25mm/p/210823

using a stanley knife, or a large kitchen knife you can line the big carboard box. I suggest two layers of board.
Filling gaps is easy.
Join it all together using gaffer tape.

Work on the basis that the carrier is going to drop the box onto concrete from at least one metre.

That should do it.

Yes a lot of effort, which is why £20 on fuel to or a couple of hours travel to collect/deliver is just as easy.

HTH, David.

• 2 months later...