SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

4mm nirvana eyepiece blurry

Bradleybear

Hi!!

Just purchased a 4mm nirvana 82 degree eyepiece for my Dobson 250p, and I cannot get a clear image out of it. I also have a 7mm nirvana and a Celestron zoom which seem fine. Scope is collimated each use. Is it past the limit of the scope? Or is there another reason it may be giving a fuzzy image? Anyone have any experience of this eyepiece? 

Thanks

I doubt the eyepiece is faulty.
At 300x magnification, you will need amazing conditions for it to be a steady image.

Atmospheric conditions, transoarency and stability all have a big influence on the ability to up magnification,
often lower power and smaller images are all that you should sensibly try to achieve.

Edited by Alan White

The 4mm Nirvana has a lot of love:

https://stargazerslounge.com/search/?q=4mm Nirvana&quick=1&updated_after=any&sortby=newest

I've had some iffy results with it myself in indifferent conditions. Sometimes it seems to suffer more than an equivalent combination of [EP + barlow] (I don't have another native 4mm to compare it with). But as others have said, I expect it's either down to pushing too far beyond the seeing limits (when I use it in my Mak) or to imperfect collimation (in my F/5 Newt).

My Nirvana 4mm is a very sharp eyepiece, however it is seldom that the seeing is good enough  to use it, as everyone else has said.  Could also be slight miscollimation, as Louis D said a fast scope is very collimation sensitive.

clear skies

Harry