SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

FLO Black Friday Sale!

FLO

The UK's largest sale of astronomy products. Over 140x reduced price items! 

Today, from 9am - 9pm, every ten minutes, we added another reduced ex-demo, ex-review or customer-return product to the FLO Clearance Offers board (follow the board to receive auto-notifications).

You can also view them at our website's Offers Page and at Twitter

We will do same again tomorrow! 

All are covered by a full manufacturer UK warranty and our 30-day return policy so you can buy with confidence 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FLO said:

Yes. It's been a long day  

Can imagine. Was just funny following on from a thread in the lounge.

Mind you did have me worried for a moment thinking OH NOOO I have to work tomorrow?!? 😉 

27 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Was just funny following on from a thread in the lounge.

Have just found the discussion.

For our FLO Black Friday sale we began adding items from 9am today (Black Friday) and will add more tomorrow from 9am until 9pm, if only because adding all 140+ items in one one day would be too much. 

Check out our Black Friday / Christmas Sales post for longer lasting promotions from the likes of ZWO, Antlia, Sharpstar / Askar, Baader, Optolong & Unistellar 🙂 

Black Friday is an odd thing. Something about marking the the start of the Christmas shopping season, I think. Probably an American idea. 

HTH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLO said:

Have just found the discussion.

For our FLO Black Friday sale we began adding items from 9am today (Black Friday) and will add more tomorrow from 9am until 9pm, if only because adding all 140+ items in one one day would be too much. 

Check out our Black Friday / Christmas Sales post for longer lasting promotions from the likes of ZWO, Antlia, Sharpstar / Askar, Baader, Optolong & Unistellar 🙂 

Black Friday is an odd thing. Something about marking the the start of the Christmas shopping season, I think. Probably an American idea. 

HTH

Yes.... Yes it is.  Black Friday is an American thing.  The day after Thanksgiving people get up at ridiculously early hours to go and try and find deals on Christmas presents. So you can blame that on us 

13 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Probably just me but I always think “Black Friday” sounds rather sinister. 

Oh it is.  It is some serious cut throat shopping as parents will trample you to get that last iPhone for their kids LOL 

7 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

Oh it is.  It is some serious cut throat shopping as parents will trample you to get that last iPhone for their kids LOL 

😀  yep. It puts me off going shopping. In fact it did put us of going shopping. We had planned to go into a local shopping centre yesterday for various things we needed and then suddenly remembered it was BF. So we didn’t and went for a nice walk on a sunny day instead. How much better was that! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

😀  yep. It puts me off going shopping. In fact it did put us of going shopping. We had planned to go into a local shopping centre yesterday for various things we needed and then suddenly remembered it was BF. So we didn’t and went for a nice walk on a sunny day instead. How much better was that! 

We ventured out in the afternoon after all the stupidity has stopped, and took a nice fall walk as well. 

14 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Probably just me but I always think “Black Friday” sounds rather sinister. 

As far as I have heard this is a financial thing. The retailers are at the start of their most profitable season where they can turn a deficit into a profit with the increased sales leading up t the Christmas period.

In accounting terms Red is used for debit/loss and Black for credit/profit - hence Black Friday.

Yes, I am aware of its origins. I just feel the name has negative connotations. Why not call it Dreary Friday and have done with it?  Didn't we used to have what were called pre-Christmas sales?  Sounds rather more positive.   Also as a cummudgeonly old so and so I resent how everything American has to come over here.  Trick or treat etc.  Grumble grumble grumble. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Yes, I am aware of its origins. I just feel the name has negative connotations. Why not call it Dreary Friday and have done with it?  Didn't we used to have what were called pre-Christmas sales?  Sounds rather more positive.   Also as a cummudgeonly old so and so I resent how everything American has to come over here.  Trick or treat etc.  Grumble grumble grumble. 

I worked in two US banks in London for many years and gently reminded them we speak English - always with a big smile and never caused offence.

One year my annual review/promotion was commented on by one of the US born Vice Presidents who under the phrase "Thanks to his sterling efforts Steve has increased our unit profits dramatically..." he wrote "Can he concentrate the same efforts on other currencies as well next year" much to the delight of my Oxford & Cambridge educated Managers.🤭

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

As far as I have heard this is a financial thing. The retailers are at the start of their most profitable season where they can turn a deficit into a profit with the increased sales leading up t the Christmas period.

In accounting terms Red is used for debit/loss and Black for credit/profit - hence Black Friday.

In the 80s it became a financial thing for businesses, but its origins are from the 60s starting in Philadelphia.  The annual Army Navy football game was that day and the city filled up with 60k extra people who went shopping after the game.  The term black friday came out of the police department as they had extra shifts and long days to deal with it. We tend to stay home on black friday. 

16 hours ago, Mike Q said:

In the 80s it became a financial thing for businesses, but its origins are from the 60s starting in Philadelphia.  The annual Army Navy football game was that day and the city filled up with 60k extra people who went shopping after the game.  The term black friday came out of the police department as they had extra shifts and long days to deal with it. We tend to stay home on black friday. 

With regard to the shopping and modern records that's likely the association. But the term for accounting pre-existed (1869 Gold market scandal).

In the even older days it was probably a reference to bath day😆