SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

November 25, 2022: Jupiter in very choppy seeing

Had a bit of a struggle today, but at least got some result. Clear skies were replaced by clouds the moment the entire set-up was ready to go, but I persevered, and waited for the skies to clear. Indeed, 30 minutes or so later the sky was clear enough around Jupiter, so I decided to give it a go. Seeing was choppy, but I got a series of SER files before the next batch of clouds popped by. I waited some more, whilst doing a quick process of one or two files (with mixed results). Once the sky was clear again, I gave it another go, but the seeing was considerably worse, and with more clouds threatening, I gave up the idea of waiting for Mars to rise above the trees to my east. As it turned out, the first SER file I took was the best:

Jup_192745_lapl4_ap29crop.png.0a00d93c2b59b0fd7fad693a842b4989.png

Not brilliant, but better than nothing I suppose.

Equipment: Celestron C8 on Vixen Great Polaris mount, with Siebert Optics 1.3x Tele-Centric, and ASI183MC camera

• Like 4

Since I also have C8, I can tell that your ROI was probably too big for you to increase FPS. Increasing it will let you deal better with the choppy seeing. It is really difficult with Jupiter, though, as it is bigger and you cannot realistically go past 200 FPS on C8, but it is still pretty good. Are you using ADC?