Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Snatching at Mars Nov 24

neil phillips

Got one rushed capture. Then cloud started. So, I gave up, after waiting a while. Used less FL. Because seeing and wind was making it difficult. It's annoying because I know if I can get the right conditions

I will be able to pull a lot more detail out. Now its a healthy size

Orion 245mm Newt. QHY462C. SW EQ5 Mount. Baader Q Barlow Screwed onto the Zwo ADC. For less FL

200.bmp 350.tif 175.tif  GAUSS.png 95.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Nice detail despite the conditions Neil. It's frustrating when the weather turns like this when Mars is nearing opposition. I remember the same thing happening 2 years ago.

Cheers Stuart. Patterns repeating themselves. Could be worse I suppose with a global dust storm.

54 minutes ago, Kon said:

It's looking very good despite the conditions. Is that a single capture or derotated a few movies?

Cheers Kon. its a single 6 min capture. I had just started. Then cloud stopped play. Didn't get a second run. Or perfect focus. Rather a quick stab at it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Cheers Kon. its a single 6 min capture. I had just started. Then cloud stopped play. Didn't get a second run. Or perfect focus. Rather a quick stab at it.

It's looking clear tonight but with jetstream above us.I just setup for ISS pas at 540.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

This is excellent Neil, the detail is really starting to come through. What time were you out, as I was totally clouded out here until well after midnight, when I gave looking and went to bed?

Hi Geof Cheers. Just looked at the time stamp. It was 22:59 UT At the start of capture. The cloud has been a real issue hasn't it. Weather not helping us at all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neil phillips said:

Hi Geof Cheers. Just looked at the time stamp. It was 22:59 UT At the start of capture. The cloud has been a real issue hasn't it. Weather not helping us at all

Not to put too fine a point on it - it's been goddam awful....... Forecast is for it to clear here around 10pm tonight, but the wind is really strong, so I'm a bit anxious about opening the roll off roof on the observatory, as there's nothing to secure it when open, other than it's own weight.....🙄🤔

35 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Not to put too fine a point on it - it's been goddam awful....... Forecast is for it to clear here around 10pm tonight, but the wind is really strong, so I'm a bit anxious about opening the roll off roof on the observatory, as there's nothing to secure it when open, other than it's own weight.....🙄🤔

I know its blowing crazy here. Can you imagine a 6 foot ten inch scope on a EQ5 mount in this wind. Mars wont be on screen. it will likely be in Australia.🤣 Dont think i am setting up. good luck if you do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

I know its blowing crazy here. Can you imagine a 6 foot ten inch scope on a EQ5 mount in this wind. Mars wont be on screen. it will likely be in Australia.🤣 Dont think i am setting up. good luck if you do. 

Yeah, that's not going to work very well....😱. I get some wind protection in the observatory and the AP1200 mount is a brute, so winds don't bother it, but the C14 with it's dew shield acts like a sail and I worry most about the roof being lifted of the rails if I open up in strong winds. I'll make a decision at the last minute, but it's hard to pass up a clear sky if I get one, as they're like hens teeth currently.

• Like 1