Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece case?

5 minutes ago, PeterC65 said:

Not with the type of foam in my cases you can't (unfortunately).

The foam is squared when looking at it face on, but each square extends the full width of the foam layer (there are two foam layers). I sometimes ditch the top layer only and refill any holes in the bottom layer with pieces taken from the top layer.

I really need to be less obsessive about the tidiness of my cases. 🥴

P1060294.thumb.JPG.0eec57209fe60c9639c6348d4187086c.JPG

If someone bought you an eyepiece it would be both a blessing and a curse lol.  That is a very pleasing arrangement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/11/2022 at 12:42, Ratlet said:

I should be getting some shafowfoam (or kaizen foam) for Christmas.  Its basically layers of foam stuck together.  You cut it it shape to fit the tool/object.  I'm not a huge fan of pick and pluck historically.

Foam-Inlays-Kleuren.jpg

Just sent for a piece of this for my flight case £12.83 free postage cannot grumble about that.

• Like 1

I should have added these pics initially but I was reworking the cases.  These are the Apache cases.  They are basically a clone of Pelican cases but at half the price 

IMG_20221126_083242865.jpg

IMG_20221126_081257478.jpg

12 hours ago, PeterC65 said:

Not with the type of foam in my cases you can't (unfortunately).

The foam is squared when looking at it face on, but each square extends the full width of the foam layer (there are two foam layers). I sometimes ditch the top layer only and refill any holes in the bottom layer with pieces taken from the top layer.

I really need to be less obsessive about the tidiness of my cases. 🥴

P1060294.thumb.JPG.0eec57209fe60c9639c6348d4187086c.JPG

That's lovely, I'd feel like I was James Bond every time I opened that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, stephec said:

That's lovely, I'd feel like I was James Bond every time I opened that. 

My wife is convinced I keep assassination kit in my astro storage boxes, so James Bond sounds right!

• Haha 4

• 2 months later...
On 03/12/2022 at 23:21, PeterC65 said:

My wife is convinced I keep assassination kit in my astro storage boxes, so James Bond sounds right!

For people of a certain age, the ultimate agent's case will always be this one:

bg01.jpg.f1582834ced0022d4a3abadf4bb9a8c5.jpgbg02.jpg.53bdec50aa411a3a754630aa4458b8ba.jpg

bg06.jpg.a6098899cc53ebd2fbebe9db0b391580.jpgbg11.jpg.cd3732a6fc1c204853d99a97bacfb349.jpg

Edited by Zermelo
  • Like 4

On 20/02/2023 at 07:37, Gfamily said:

I feel very cheapskate, but it works for me. Eyepieces in the caddy tray, other accessories below. reduced_IMG_20230213_225225.thumb.jpg.7dc0d294e491aad0969674bae2a1982e.jpg

I've been using a Popular Mechanics plastic toolbox since the late 90s to hold many of my non-eyepiece bits and pieces like collimation tools, solar finder, laser sight, filter wallets, allen wrenches, Rosco gel swatchbook, small counterweights, observing eyeglasses (in a case), various photography adapters, smartphone mount, tri-finder mount, alternate diagonal noses, focal reducers, folded nightsky map, etc.  A few things like my filter wheel, spare 2" diagonal, and Herschel wedge still get their own small cases/boxes outside of it.

• 2 weeks later...

It just occurred to me that anyone without an interest in stargazing who looks at this thread will think that we are all completely bonkers! But in our defence there is a logical reason for keeping an eyepieces case and not just to protect and show off all of our lovely, expensive glass. Keeping your eyepieces in a regimented, focal length order and always keeping them in that order, makes eyepiece selection trouble-free when out in the dark at the scope. When kept in the same place selecting an eyepiece will soon become second nature and you won't even have to use a red-light torch which will help in maintaining your dark adaption.

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Franklin said:

It just occurred to me that anyone without an interest in stargazing who looks at this thread will think that we are all completely bonkers! But in our defence there is a logical reason for keeping an eyepieces case and not just to protect and show off all of our lovely, expensive glass. Keeping your eyepieces in a regimented, focal length order and always keeping them in that order, makes eyepiece selection trouble-free when out in the dark at the scope. When kept in the same place selecting an eyepiece will soon become second nature and you won't even have to use a red-light torch which will help in maintaining your dark adaption.

I think that they will understand and be equally bonkers.

The regimented layout feels very OCD so suits my mind well, but as you say it is indeed making things easier when night observing as well as keeping things safe and sound when not.

Do note folks a long running thread on eyepiece cases has been running for years as pointed out by @JOC and is good for an evenings browse as it’s that long a thread.

• Like 1

My main case is for my set of Morpheus eyepieces and I can’t find the heart to dig spaces in this custom case for my various filters etc. So I end up having to take my other case every session. I also have the OCD trait of everything in its place and in order. If I could also apply this principle to my life 🤔

5CE2E0AB-E79B-48A0-BF0E-5C8DC5ADA01A.thumb.jpeg.8b5214d846ddb2fdb159c5c16d79e56c.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm seriously OCD, and my eyepiece case(s) have no particular order to the eyepieces.  It's more of a situation of where newer eyepieces would fit in the positions of older, retired eyepieces (or in adjacent, empty areas) because I didn't want to buy new P&P foam each and every time I upgraded eyepieces just to keep them in numerical order (cheapness wins over OCD for me every time).  I literally have the positions of my eyepiece memorized, along with what used to occupy those spots previously, so no OCD issues for me in the dark.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 24/11/2022 at 06:05, Kluson said:

Can anyone recommend a good eyepiece case. My collections is starting to grow, Is it best to go for the pick n pluck style flight case, How about storage, Horizontal or vertical

Any advice gladly received

Many thanks

D

I picked this up at a local hardware ware store for about $40 and it suits my needs the foam is precut/scored so it’s easy to just place our eyepieces and equipment and then use your hands to pull out whatever you need to make a hole for them to nestle in, the dividers are optional and it comes with a carrying strap. I used a exacto knife to make one the pockets in the upper pockets bigger for my plugs and cables, and store manuals in large folder compartment.

IMG_1304.jpeg

• 8 months later...
On 24/11/2022 at 13:15, Second Time Around said:

I prefer a hard case as it doesn't absorb dew and (edit) so can be put down on wet grass.

However, I much prefer the inside to have removable padded dividers like photographers use as this is so much more flexible.  This is especially as I'm still experimenting with eyepieces and other accessories.  

IMG_20210911_170603_compress44.thumb.jpg.7c064c9b446548760bf29e09df6b5018.jpg

@Second Time Around This case looks great, what brand is it? Where did you get it from?
Thanks!