SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece case?

Can anyone recommend a good eyepiece case. My collections is starting to grow, Is it best to go for the pick n pluck style flight case, How about storage, Horizontal or vertical

Any advice gladly received

Many thanks

D

I use a Clas Ohlson pick foam case. Can't give you a link as Amazon don't seem to sell it any more but there are hundreds of manufacturers selling similar items. Most people store their EPs horizontally but my case is tall enough to take them vertically, so I need only one case. It's no problem finding an EP in it: I store mine in focal length order so I only need to count. I suppose you could write on the lens covers too if you really wanted to.

This way of storing stuff allows me to put in all 9 EPs, two Barlows and sundry other items, all in one case:

IMG_20221124_123012.thumb.jpg.5d48d1dd594a39e4d63d7101a0da91aa.jpg

And still room for another EP I'm getting for Xmas!

• Like 1

The pick and pluck eyepiece case is generally the way to go unless you have a case designed for a particular range of eyepieces like one of mine is for my complete Baader Morpheus collection. The pick and pluck case allows you to arrange them the way you want. Regarding the horizontal or vertical question, it’s entirely what you prefer. The vertical will allow more eyepieces per case. I have both vertical and horizontal. Finding a particular eyepiece can be tricky with a vertical unless you mark the top dust caps 

7F83FF9A-6CF7-43D3-88C1-D61265987296.thumb.jpeg.8aa6529d0035e82b2a6adeedc64cf662.jpeg2B8712AD-6318-4BC5-9887-2BCFF96E13BB.thumb.jpeg.57f016a4df1758044714d2bfb0142a94.jpeg

Edited by bosun21
Typo
  • Like 2

I should be getting some shafowfoam (or kaizen foam) for Christmas.  Its basically layers of foam stuck together.  You cut it it shape to fit the tool/object.  I'm not a huge fan of pick and pluck historically.

Foam-Inlays-Kleuren.jpg

• Like 3

I have an Explore Scientific soft case - https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/explore-case.html

A bit pricey for what it is, but can hold a surprising number of 1.25" eyepieces and other assorted junk and it is deep enough to store the Naglers vertically. It's a bit challenged with 2" eyepieces so, with economy in mind, I also use a ebay sourced soft camera lens bag - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373763645966?var=642804111044 -  cheaper than anything aimed at astronomy, and does the job for the big stuff, although the chaotic approach won't suit everyone.

IMG_20221124_123709.thumb.jpg.8809694ca69331e83706b35af5546c5c.jpgIMG_20221124_123850.thumb.jpg.cb2e5b7577a401e48fc12f8e4e9708b0.jpg

• Like 1

I prefer a hard case as it doesn't absorb dew and (edit) so can be put down on wet grass.

However, I much prefer the inside to have removable padded dividers like photographers use as this is so much more flexible.  This is especially as I'm still experimenting with eyepieces and other accessories.  

IMG_20210911_170603_compress44.thumb.jpg.7c064c9b446548760bf29e09df6b5018.jpg

Edited by Second Time Around
Added the word "so".
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Second Time Around said:

I prefer a hard case as it doesn't absorb dew and can be put down on wet grass.

However, I much prefer the inside to have removable padded dividers like photographers use as this is so much more flexible.  This is especially as I'm still experimenting with eyepieces and other accessories.  

That looks great

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

I prefer a hard case as it doesn't absorb dew and can be put down on wet grass.

I've not had any problems with dew with the soft cases. I'm not sure if this is just because my observing sessions are usually no more than four hours, and finish before the worst dew points, or if dew precipitates less on the soft fibres of the case covers.

• Like 1

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I meant that the dew is on the grass and so that's how it gets absorbed.

60 years of going fishing has taught me that!

Having said that, on particularly dewy nights the top of bags still get wet.

Hard cases are also easier to clean if they get muddy.

I also prefer a hard case as it offers better protection from knocks.

Of course, YMMV.

• Like 2

On 24/11/2022 at 12:42, Ratlet said:

I should be getting some shafowfoam (or kaizen foam) for Christmas.  Its basically layers of foam stuck together.  You cut it it shape to fit the tool/object.  I'm not a huge fan of pick and pluck historically.

Foam-Inlays-Kleuren.jpg

Be careful of that stuff. Whilst it looks good, protects good, it also sheds little bits of the colouring material. Not good for optics. I will try to adapt mine for different uses, avoiding optics. Just trying to help. :smiley:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

Be careful of that stuff. Whilst it looks good, protects good, it also sheds little bits of the colouring material. Not good for optics. I will try to adapt mine for different uses, avoiding optics. Just trying to help. :smiley:

That's good to know.  The missus has already got it I think.  I'll see how I get on with it.  The wife is daft for crafting and I know she'll find abuse for it herself if we can't make it work.

18 hours ago, M40 said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Oklop eyepiece bag. Very adaptable and was toying with getting a second.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescope-bags-cases-storage/oklop-padded-bag-for-eyepieces-and-accessories.html

That looks great, Could work very well indeed, Thanks for highlighting it

I use a hard plastic case similar to Second Time's.  They come in various sizes and are pretty inexpensive.  I found that pluck foam comes apart in time, so I replaced it with leftover medium density packing foam sheets that I stacked to fit the case depth and then cut holes for vertical EP storage.  Cheap and easy if you don't mind futzing a bit with the foam.

• Like 1

Most of my astronomy kit is stored in MAX Cases with pluck foam inside, bought from The Case Shop. They have a great website that allows you to search for cases by their inside dimension, and they provide great service.

The down side to pluck foam is that I keep buying new kit then having to replace the foam inserts to accommodate things! I keep telling myself I'm settled on my kit and then something new turns up!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

With cubed foam, what if I told you, you could turn it over and use it again :ohmy:

Not with the type of foam in my cases you can't (unfortunately).

The foam is squared when looking at it face on, but each square extends the full width of the foam layer (there are two foam layers). I sometimes ditch the top layer only and refill any holes in the bottom layer with pieces taken from the top layer.

I really need to be less obsessive about the tidiness of my cases. 🥴

P1060294.thumb.JPG.0eec57209fe60c9639c6348d4187086c.JPG

• Like 3