SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Starting EEVA

bosun21

I am thinking about dipping my toes into EEVA and need a few pointers please. I have my Starfield 102 on a EQ5 pro mount. Which  camera would be sufficient to get me going? and do I need to upgrade my mount to a HEQ5? I simply want to live stack short exposures onto my laptop with say Sharpcap. Finally would an ASI air plus (mini) be a good way forward. Thanks for reading.

Ian 

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

I was also thinking of getting an EQ platform for my 8” dobsonian and taking say 2 second exposures and live stacking them also.

Good plan! My 8” f8 is so much steadier on an EQ Platform. Never used it for EEVA but I know that people do basic imaging with that kind of setup.

9AFEE79E-6502-4E3A-B31F-FEFE983182FB.jpeg

• Like 1

Have a look at the ZWO ASI290MM and see what you think. It seems to work ok with your telescope in the calculators. I also wouldn't change your EQ5 mount until you have tried it as when you add a few bits and bobs to your telescope, you are still within the weight limits of the mount.

Astronomy is great in that we all have our own ways so hopefully others will offer a few suggestions, but I go as simple as possible, I don't guide, so no guide scope weight to be added, I just use a red dot finder, a flip mirror with camera and illuminated reticule eyepiece, a few alignments on bright and double stars then goto the target. Seems to work well. Likewise I have stuck so far with the ZWO software, nice and easy but sooner or later I will try sharpcap. All the best. 

• Thanks 1

I'm looking at doing some EEVA and found this forum useful:

https://www.astronomie-va.com/forum/index.php

It's in French but there's an option to select the language underneath the header (Little Google G will run it through auto translate).  There's some good info on what different people are running.  L:ot of the members are doing it with Dobs.  Not sure iof you want to ask a question if you can do it in English, but lots of good info.

• Thanks 1