Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommendations for Learning Pixinsight

Hi everyone,

I’ve just purchased Pixinsight and would really value any recommendations on learning resources for it.

Is there a course/book/channel that you swear by for Pixinsight tutorials/guides/lessons?

I would be open to purchasing material, such as books or a course.

I’m shooting in mono, mainly narrowband. So any good resources leaning towards that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Andy.

1 hour ago, scotty38 said:

official PI youtube channel

As @scotty38 says, this is a great place to start.  Getting to know the way PI looks, feels and works is key to remove some of the FUD that is associated with the application at times.  The "Introduction" series is a good start I'm sure.

15 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Regardless of what else you check out have a look at the official PI youtube channel and also have a look at Adam Block's free stuff particularly his WBPP series

Channel looks very good, and it really starts with the basics like workspaces, windows etc. Thats just what I need.

• Like 1

Inside Pixinsight  2nd ed by Warren Keller is a v good - thorough and a bit of a slog, but complete.  It is a few years old (2018) and PI is evolving, but worth a few quid.  His most valuable piece of advice IMHO:  learn to use the tools separately before using the scripts.

Also, Harry's Astroshed Tutorials (also a few years old but still good)

https://www.harrysastroshed.com/pixinsight/pixinsight video html/Pixinsighthome.html

Personally, I hate the damn thing!  

Simon

• 1 month later...
On 22/11/2022 at 09:48, geeklee said:

As @scotty38 says, this is a great place to start.  Getting to know the way PI looks, feels and works is key to remove some of the FUD that is associated with the application at times.  The "Introduction" series is a good start I'm sure.

I had to Google FUD. :) Fear, uncertainty and doubt. Yeah, been there … got the t-shirt. 😉

My initial difficulties were two fold.  Firstly to understand the Pixinsight interface and secondly to develop an appreciation of the sequence of tasks necessary to process an image.  There are quite a few tightly written guides on the internet and in books, and they’re very good, but what I found most useful at first to at least get an overview of what they heck I was trying to do were the many basic introductions and workflow tutorials on YouTube.  Several of these have been mentioned already. Adam Block’s free tutorials are really good and he keeps them up to date I believe. 

• Like 1