Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LOOK AT MARS, NOW, AS SOON AS YOU CAN, DON'T LEAVE IT UNTIL 'TOMORROW' !!

paulastro

I had some great views of Mars last night, superb in the 8 inch StarSense Dob, Syrtis Major, and Sinus Sabaeus were striking.

There are many people, some on these pages, who don't start observing lt until its actually at opposition.  Big mistake.

Older hands will know this, but not only does Mars only come to opposition every 2 years, not all oppositions are equal. At this opposition it attains a diameter of 17.2".  If you want to see it bigger and brighter, you'll have to wait until July 2033 !!  

Particularly if you're getting on a bit, don't delay - make the most of it. I' won't see it better until I'm 78 years old. 😱 😅.

Edited by paulastro
Typos
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

• paulastro changed the title to LOOK AT MARS, NOW, AS SOON AS YoU CAN, DON'T LEAVE IT UNTIL 'TOMORROW' !!
  • paulastro changed the title to LOOK AT MARS, NOW, AS SOON AS YOU CAN, DON'T LEAVE IT UNTIL 'TOMORROW' !!
6 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Sorry Sunshine and bosun21, when you read this I'd only written the first two lines and pressed the post button by mistake.  At least you now know why I'm shouting at you 🤣

No no! it was funny, I felt like a child again when my mom would yell at me to clean my room 😅

• Haha 3

Had a quick look tonight between clouds with my 150p and it was indeed looking good- at around 200x the distinctive form of Syrtis Major well defined, a lightening where Hellas should be and quite clearly defined N polar cap- first time I've been able to resolve it this time round. 

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, davehowat said:

Just looked out my window ,never seen Earth look so good from my home in Syrtis Major. 🙂🙂

Screenshot_2022-11-19-23-43-37-400_org.mozilla.firefox~2.jpg

Fake.... There are no clouds over Ohio and we currently have 100% cloud cover lol

I imaged Mars yesterday, best ever view I've seen. A bit frustrating because of fast moving cloud's but managed a few three mins each of data. I was able to image at f30 with my C11. Forecast this coming week is cloud and cloud's unfortunately. Can't wait to my birthday next month. I've heard I'm getting a new zwo camera hopefully, lol. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I imaged Mars yesterday, best ever view I've seen. A bit frustrating because of fast moving cloud's but managed a few three mins each of data. I was able to image at f30 with my C11. Forecast this coming week is cloud and cloud's unfortunately. Can't wait to my birthday next month. I've heard I'm getting a new zwo camera hopefully, lol. 

Have you posted these images Nigella?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

I had some great views of Mars last night, superb in the 8 inch StarSense Dob, Syrtis Major, and Sinus Sabaeus were striking.

There are many people, some on these pages, who don't start observing lt until its actually at opposition.  Big mistake.

Older hands will know this, but not only does Mars only come to opposition every 2 years, not all oppositions are equal. At this opposition it attains a diameter of 17.2".  If you want to see it bigger and brighter, you'll have to wait until July 2033 !!  

Particularly if you're getting on a bit, don't delay - make the most of it. I' won't see it better until I'm 78 years old. 😱 😅.

Thanks for the reminder Paul. It makes you realise how good Mars was at the last opposition when it was nearly 22” diameter. Your post made me investigate a bit more to remind myself what’s going on - there’s a really good explanation here. So basically we can look forward to Mars decreasing in size at every opposition (approx every two years) until it reaches a minimum of 14” in the 2029 opposition and then increases again until it reaches a maximum of 24” in the 2035 opposition. Unfortunately it seems that the declination is decreasing so it reaches a max altitude of around 60 degrees from the UK at the moment but will only be at 30 degrees in 2035, so another good reason to be observing NOW.  🙂

• Thanks 2

I should make a point of viewing mars this winter... But it seems to be sinking a bit and I'm not sure if my current eyepiece set is planetary optimised?

I currently have a 10mm vixen SLV (which is quite nice) as my highest power EP. With my 10" dob I get ~120x mag with that but even jupiter looks a tad small still at that power. That said, going too high power might make it more difficult, as I find it hard to nudge my dob all that delicately...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, davehowat said:

What do you mean fake ,next you will be telling me there's life on earth 😂😂

He means Ohio is fake.  It doesn't exist.  Like birds.  They're really just government spy drones.  London gets the best so they have lots of pigeons.  Some places can't afford small light weight birds so have to make do with larger models.  This is why some costal towns have seaguls the size of small horses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks @paulastro! I finally managed a decent view for this time around the other night through the 8” f8. As you say, Syrtis Major well positioned and very clear, as well as the ice cap which looked quite extensive. Clouds have returned now for a while but I’ll keep trying 👍

I must get the EQ Platform out so I get steadier views.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pipnina said:

I should make a point of viewing mars this winter... But it seems to be sinking a bit and I'm not sure if my current eyepiece set is planetary optimised?

I currently have a 10mm vixen SLV (which is quite nice) as my highest power EP. With my 10" dob I get ~120x mag with that but even jupiter looks a tad small still at that power. That said, going too high power might make it more difficult, as I find it hard to nudge my dob all that delicately...

Have you a x2 barlow?  Your 10 inch will manage x240 well when the seeing cooperates, and at the higher power the details will be far easier to make out.  With my 8inch, for Mars I'm using between x200 and x300 with a binoviewer, mostly the higher power.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks @paulastro! I finally managed a decent view for this time around the other night through the 8” f8. As you say, Syrtis Major well positioned and very clear, as well as the ice cap which looked quite extensive. Clouds have returned now for a while but I’ll keep trying 👍

I must get the EQ Platform out so I get steadier views.

Lots of cloud here too Stu.  For Mars, I'm sometimes out when there are only short breaks in a mostly cloudy sky.  I've had far more views than if Iwas waiting for completely clear nights - these are currently quite a rarity.  It's qood when the cloud is moving quickly as I don't have to wait too long for a view.  I've had some good views with the 8 inch observing like this.  😊

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pipnina said:

The Vixen SLVs are lovely EPs, however they are only 50° FOV. I have a set I use in my Vixen refractor but that is on a driven EQ mount. 

For Jupiter and Mars, I usually start with around 150x - which will be with an 8mm EP in you scope. They can take higher magnification if the seeing is good. But at that magnification with 50° FOV, it'll be a lot of work nudging a dob. In my dob, I prefer around 65-70° at least at that power.

10 hours ago, RobertI said:

Thanks for the reminder Paul. It makes you realise how good Mars was at the last opposition when it was nearly 22” diameter. Your post made me investigate a bit more to remind myself what’s going on - there’s a really good explanation here. So basically we can look forward to Mars decreasing in size at every opposition (approx every two years) until it reaches a minimum of 14” in the 2029 opposition and then increases again until it reaches a maximum of 24” in the 2035 opposition. Unfortunately it seems that the declination is decreasing so it reaches a max altitude of around 60 degrees from the UK at the moment but will only be at 30 degrees in 2035, so another good reason to be observing NOW.  🙂

Yes, I find it's often better observing wise when at opposition Mars is only of moderate size but a good altitude. When it's a very favourable opposition and large with a very low altitude it's seldom you have very good seeing - in the UK at any rate.

12 hours ago, paulastro said:

Sorry Sunshine and bosun21, when you read this I'd only written the first two lines and pressed the post button by mistake.  At least you now know why I'm shouting at you 🤣

Oh, to be shouted at to go outside to look at a planet... What BLISS, haha :D

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Clouds and rain here all week and the forecast is the same for the week coming. May get Friday but that will probably change before then1210267773_Screenshot_20221120_113515_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.eee9839a636ec6c0e45b57116caa3bdb.jpg

Screenshot_20221120_113529_Met Office.jpg

Not great Wookie!  I've resorted to having the scope out even if it's 60% cloud plus, and taking advantage of the brief clear gaps. Mind you, I've had to get it back into the garage quickly when the rain comes down.

• Like 1

Yes cloud dodging seems to be the order of the day- I shall do my best to get out as often as possible this week so long as it’s not hammering down. I have a large bin bag to throw over the scope should there be a light shower. I think light cloud can make a useful brightness filter- observing last night as thin cloud crept across the view the gradual dimming seemed to help the details show a bit better at times. I need to get a blower to demist the ep though as any break from viewing always results in fogging, the humidity is so high.

Mark

• Thanks 1