Narrowband

Sky-Watcher EQ5 PRO SynScan GOTO Equatorial mount

amateur-astro

2 hours ago, amateur-astro said:

Thoughts?

What would you like to know? It's a good mount for smaller telescopes and imaging with a budget. I use one with my Skymax 150 for lunar, planetary and solar imaging and it gives good results. I also used it beyond its max payload for imaging deep sky and it did work if the scope was properly balanced. However, I agree with other members points in the post below about the benefits of a HEQ5. I got the EQ5 when I was starting the hobby and I did not want to commit tones of cash early on. Later I got the AZEQ6 but the EQ5 is still in service.

Take a look at the previous post here...

• Like 1

I have used the eq5 for a few years now,  originally I bought the 200PDS and eq5 bundle, I found the mount just about coped with a scope that size.  It was fine for visual but as soon as I added the extra weight of a Dslr it struggled a little.  I have since bought a SW ED80, I think the mount is much happier with a scope this size and can cope with the added weight of a Dslr etc. I've found I can take subs of around 1 min unguided, I have just started guiding but not had a lot of clear nights so I'll leave it up to others to comment on that. 

There are two negatives that I would point out but both are relatively cheap to rectify. 

Firstly the Azimuth bolts are prone to bending.  This is a well known problem and there are many replacements on the market. Such as these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astrodymium-upgraded-azimuth-bolts-m6x1.html

Secondly, I found polar alignment impossible until I bought an illuminator 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/polar-illuminator-for-eq3-2eq5-mounts.html

Although now I'm using an asiair I polar align with that and no longer need the polar scope. 

I bought the 200PDS and EQ5 originally because it seemed to give the biggest bang for my bucks having never owned any form of telescope. If I made the same decision today I'd probably change the OTA to a 130 or 150 or refractor but keep the EQ5. 

My current setup is SW80PDS, EQ5pro, ASIair Pro, ZWO 120mm guide cam and a 450D that I bought second hand for 80 quid.  I'm on a very limited budget and it takes a long time to get to the 'next step' if £1000 fell in my lap tomorrow I would buy a decent camera and keep the mount. 

What I'm trying to say is that for the money it is a good mount, you'll probably end up buying something bigger in the future but if you just starting out in Astronomy or are on a limited budget it's great.  I know mine has given me hours of fun. 

• Like 1

The main thing I would like to know is, what's the difference between the eq5, heq5 and the eq6r? 

Is it payload mainly? I understand the rowan belt mod on the eq5 but would that apply to all 3 mounts or is it solely the eq5. I don't want to buy a mount only to find out I've got to shell out more on mod that are really a must. I don't mind spending money along as I'm fully aware what I'm spending it on and can justify it, could anyone suggest a alternative mount ideally a goto mount? 

Thanks astro

14 hours ago, amateur-astro said:

The main thing I would like to know is, what's the difference between the eq5, heq5 and the eq6r? 

Is it payload mainly? I understand the rowan belt mod on the eq5 but would that apply to all 3 mounts or is it solely the eq5. I don't want to buy a mount only to find out I've got to shell out more on mod that are really a must. I don't mind spending money along as I'm fully aware what I'm spending it on and can justify it, could anyone suggest a alternative mount ideally a goto mount? 

Thanks astro

Payload, precision and price are the three main differences.  Options for fitting a commercially (Rowan) produced belt drive exist for HEQ5 and EQ6 mounts.  EQ5 has no such option, although people have done DIY conversions.  The advantages of belt driven mount are only really applicable if you intend to use the scope for imaging where backlash / vibration makes a real difference.

You don't mention the scope you are considering, which could impacted how good the mount will perform, and really makes your questions difficult to answer.  An eq5 pro goto mount is a very capable mount providing you match it to a payload that remains within its specifications, which is the same for any mount on the market

• Like 1