Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher explorer 200 and Eq5 mount

6 hours ago, reddish75 said:

Hi Bosun thanks for the reply 

So the missing screw should be in the highlighted red circle? With the white bracket your saying remove that and attach to the telescope with the black bracket underneath? 20221120_072720.thumb.jpg.f97b65d820f62ff704c8906412e82673.jpg

6 hours ago, reddish75 said:

Hi Bosun thanks for the reply 

So the missing screw should be in the highlighted red circle? With the white bracket your saying remove that and attach to the telescope with the black bracket underneath? 20221120_072720.thumb.jpg.f97b65d820f62ff704c8906412e82673.jpg

Not that missing screw. It’s the silver screw that is on the mount just above where it meets the tripod. You have one of them but the opposite side is missing. Yes remove that white bracket and connect to the mount by the black bracket.

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

Have you got these adapters with the scope as you will need them to get focus with eyepieces. 

Skywatcher-2-Crayford-Focuser-for-Explorer-Newtonian-Reflectors.jpg

Yes, thankfully I have those.

I think the scope has been a bit unloved over the years, when I picked it up the dust cap wasn't on the scope and the bits were generally thrown in around it. Bit of time and care and it'll come good I should think

6 hours ago, wulfrun said:

Personal choice, some folk use one or the other and some (like myself) like both. A Telrad or similar gets you close to target or to the nearest naked-eye-visible star, then you use a RACI to hone in on the exact point you're after. The RACI allows you to see fainter stuff, the Telrad does not.

EDIT:  the green-circled, white thing in the picture above shouldn't be there at all, it'll prevent the black bit (dovetail) engaging with your mount. (I think!)

Just as note. That white bit bolted to long black dove tail bar is a small dovetail bar that comes with the mount.

No idea why it would be bolted to the long dovetail. It gives zero movement backwards or forwards for balancing the ota. I use mine as mini dovetail to use a dslr on the mount without any scope.

Marv

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, reddish75 said:

Yes, thankfully I have those.

I think the scope has been a bit unloved over the years, when I picked it up the dust cap wasn't on the scope and the bits were generally thrown in around it. Bit of time and care and it'll come good I should think

Brilliant because the 2" one is hard to find when I picked my 200p a few years back before I sold it the cap had been left off and the mirror was really dirty with bird muck on it. 

I put a hole reinforcer on the donut then washed the mirror flocked the tube and put it back together I regret selling it to this day. 

Paul 

6 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Just as note. That white bit bolted to long black dove tail bar is a small dovetail bar that comes with the mount.

No idea why it would be bolted to the long dovetail. It gives zero movement backwards or forwards for balancing the ota. I use mine as mini dovetail to use a dslr on the mount without any scope.

Marv

I think they were new to astrometry just like me. One question though, the long bar how does it attach to the mount, is it held with just friction from the bolts or should there be screw holes in the dove tail?

9 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Mystery (to me) solved then. I thought it looked like an upside-down dovetail but I'm not familiar with that particular mount.

12 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Brilliant because the 2" one is hard to find when I picked my 200p a few years back before I sold it the cap had been left off and the mirror was really dirty with bird muck on it. 

I put a hole reinforcer on the donut then washed the mirror flocked the tube and put it back together I regret selling it to this day. 

Paul 

I do need to wash the mirrors, full of dust and bits NOT looking forward to that!

3 hours ago, reddish75 said:

Ah OK. I take it these silver screws are the ones you mention?20221120_141532.thumb.jpg.63268f0fd40ccdd657cbce6d1615efb1.jpg

Yes, and I can see that you indeed do have the two. One was hidden in your photos. But do remember to remove the white bracket on your dovetail.

37 minutes ago, reddish75 said:

I think they were new to astrometry just like me. One question though, the long bar how does it attach to the mount, is it held with just friction from the bolts or should there be screw holes in the dove tail?

The black dovetail is wedge shaped and is held securely in place with the side screw on the saddle.

What a great find, and with the sun-warning label still attached to the OTA.  I had gotten my own EQ5-class mount, without a tripod, a little over a year ago, and for $150.  I had scavenged the tripod from my EQ3-class mount, a Celestron CG-4.

There will be the winds to consider, as the large OTA may act as a sail of sorts.  A focal-length of 1000mm, nigh an all-rounder, combined with the eyepieces, the telescope will make for a fine show, with a lowest power of 31x, to 300x and more.

110721d.jpg.977bc48b8484b30c45c963a537adafbb.jpg