Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Those Pretty Telescopes

Sunshine

10 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Looking through this beautiful assortment of telescopes on this thread, i asked myself  "what no Questars" ?   BUT THEN I FOUND IT ☺️

Its just a beautiful work of art isn't it ??

Here is another...

questar_left700777.jpg.a0b901b3192a4bece19e638485d8f2d7.jpg

In my view the prettiest and finest scope ever made.

Alan

• Like 14

On 19/11/2022 at 15:02, Sunshine said:

my eyes struggle with reading the decals but this just screams Tak, I have no idea what model this is but I agree it looks really nice!

It’s a dilworth relay  which gives an upright non inverted image when used straight through.

https://britastro.org/forums/topic/dilworth-not-cassegrain

There is some mention of these on cloudy nights apparently few where made?

• Like 2

Wouldn't kick this scope out of bed 😂  All $78k of it 😯

I love my little LS50DS. I do think it looks pretty - beautifully machined, but it's more than skin deep: how these marvels are engineered on the inside / the physics of how they work is their real beauty, imho!! 😍 

Edited by niallk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I still miss this beauty… something about that colour scheme, solid build and weight… just oozes… “weapon” 🤣

2A7363F6-3366-4538-AD7A-09E72879A793.jpeg

Mmmm.  Nice wooden tripod, sleek black lines.  Neo-luxurious stylings.  

Stella-mira make a lovely scope.  I won't even give it bonus points for me not having to pawn both my kidneys to afford it.

• Like 1

I know it's not yet completed, so maybe not a real contender, but the ELT is droolworthy. This picture, which compares it's size to the Ross Telescope (72 inch refractor) shows the sheer scale and beauty of it. Image used with permission, from https://elt.eso.org/public/images/eelt-rossetelescope/

eelt-rossetelescope.jpg

Edited by Mandy D
  • Like 6

Sacrilege time but, I have yet to see a pretty telescope.

I have seen many scopes that, to me, look stunning but, pretty is not a word I would use.

A classic James Bond Aston Martin is a droolingly stunning machine but, pretty it ain't. 

The beauty queen of my five Dobsonians, the 12" f/5 Hofheim Instruments traveldob:

DSC_0015_2.thumb.JPG.ff984819120aa125cccff085b8be2273.JPG

A slender lightweight (12 kgs in toto), now out of production. Baltic birch plywood, stained, in combination with aluminum parts. Shown here the first version with metal altitude bearings; later improved by substitution of wooden bearings milled hollow, so less prone to vibrations.

As I wrote in an earlier post, a somewhat "sensible plant", but very capable. Spotted Neptun's moon Triton with it.

Stephan

• Like 12

On 20/11/2022 at 19:37, Space Hopper said:

No, its the Questar 7.

My thoughts echo Mike D's : someday (who knows)

I'm just imagining it on an AZ100. The Q7 on one size and my 140 refractor on the other...........😛

It was my retirement present to myself with my Wife's blessing, as she thought it would be a safer option for me than a motorcycle or sports car.  :smiley:

• Like 2

Having looked through this thread I see plenty of elegant or beautifully engineered telelscopes (The Great Weatherall being the best), but no telescope that I would call "pretty", apart, possibly, from the Porter Garden telescope.

And a lot of posts showing off all the telescopes people own, which isn't the point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1