SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cleaning Antlia Mounted Narrowband Filters

Andyb90

Hi everyone,

Can you recommend the best way to clean Antlia Pro 1.25" mounted Narrowband filters?

I read on another forum the threaded filter mounts have an alcohol soluble coating. So I think I'd need an alcohol free solution. Also I have some Kimwipes delicate task wipes. Would they be ok to use dry for minor dust marks.

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by Andyb90

14 hours ago, AstroKeith said:

There was a suspicion that the black used on the filter edges is alcohol soluble.

The coatings themselves are very unlikely to be affected and many people have reported cleaning with IPA is OK.

I am a bit confused reading this....As IPA is alcohol, are you saying that folk have cleaned the filter itself but making sure it doesnt touch the edges?

Edited by AstroMuni

I contacted Antlia a number of months ago asking how to clean their filters (I have 36mm unmounted SHO EDGE and LRGB filters). This is what I received back:

Hi Richard,

It is nice to hear you and thank for choosing Antlia filters.

For the small fingerprints and other smudge  like glue on filter surface, if you have LensPen, it is ok to use, it is always the trustful cleaning tool for fine optics to remove fingerprints, oil, dust and grit. Our QC also use it.  As you have small fingerprint only, LensPen is the best,safe and easy for you. 

If you have no LensPen,  here is our 2 solutions:

1.Send to us, we will clean and repack it for you.

2. Clean it by yourself

Here is the suggestion to clean:

Use 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol, like kimtech science wiper

Step 1:Use air blower to remove particulate dust on the surface of the filter

Step 2:Use one absorbent cotton with lens cleaner to wipe  the filter  from the center to the edge, throw away the wiper, get a new one to wipe other surface part.

The wiper can not touch the black paint on the edge of the filter.

When wipe, please note important remind below:

1. Wipe from center to edge

2. Wipe back and forth is absolutely forbidden, must be from one same direction

3. Reuse of wiper is absolutely forbidden

4. Wiper has no touch to the black edge

Please feel free to contact if you have any question. 

Looks like the reccomend not touching the black edge of the filters, probably for the reason mentioned by @AstroKeith

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AstroKeith said:

DO NOT USE DRY WIPES!

Ok, thanks for the advice. Do you think some distilled water on a Kim wipe would be ok for less stubborn marks/dust spots?

I’m a bit nervous about using alcohol in case I damage/remove the filter mount coating by accident.

40 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

Ok, thanks for the advice. Do you think some distilled water on a Kim wipe would be ok for less stubborn marks/dust spots?

I’m a bit nervous about using alcohol in case I damage/remove the filter mount coating by accident.

The procedure posted by Richard just before your last post is excellent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1