Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

the difference a night makes!!!armstrong ,collins,aldrin

roberte76

On wednesday night I was sure i would be able to bag Collins and Aldrin, the two small craters that form part of the lunar 100 item 83

but try as I may and with whatever eyepieces on my mak 127 I could not get them(but I could see Armstrong) even though they were next to the terminator.Well last night I got them! even though they were furtheraway from the terminator the light must have been just right,I experimented with my vixen lanth 9.7 and a 2x barlow and was suprised at the quality view i got of these 3x3 km craters.

They are listed on vma pro as 200mm reflector objects again it just shows the quality of my little mak.

thanks I am pleased at getting this now tonight if its clear I might have a look for the apollo 15 base near the hadley rille I find that a great view due to the shape of the rille it ,always reminds me of a dried up riverbed and makes it feel earthlike if you get my drift

Although you will be able to see the general area of the Apollo 15 landing site, or any other landing site, not even Hubble can resolve any equipment left behind, or any other trace of the landings. They are just too small.

Thanks warthog for the reply,dont worry i never meant to actually see the landing site i lke just to view the approximate area..... the mak is good but it aint that good:( ,by the way i tried to view the hadley rille tonight but it was in shadow from the adjoining mountains,instead i viewed 16,17 landing sites .

talitha .... thanks the mak is great for its size ,tonight i couldnt see aldrin but i got muber 92 on the lunar 100, the gylden valley which was just on the terminator and quite a view ,thanks to your pointing the way to the lunar 100 i am now up to 87 seen its just a question of waiting for the libration on a lot of the polar craters now..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

All the lunar 100.... I am at 61 using an ST120. I agree with the libration comment, but I feel some are going to be a bit small for the scope I have....

Cheers and well done

PEterW

Archived