Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Amateur All Sky Survey

tomato

Just musing as the rain lashes the window, but if I have done my sums correctly with a SY135/IMX571 it would ‘only’ take around 700 frames to image the entire sky, and that’s assuming your horizon is totally un-obscured so most folks would need a lot less. 
So based on this year’s clear night count at my location it would take less than 5 years to complete.

Now that mosaic would lean on my PC a tad…☺️

There are a lot of professional all sky surveys but has an amateur ever attempted this?

• Haha 1

I think you could at least double that figure for here. I have managed one imaging session since the end of the summer and the seeing was so bad I binned (literally) all the data. I estimate I get about 2-3 days per month that are useable for imaging, plus a few more that might be OK for visual. I am beginning to feel the observatory was not a good investment of time and money........

By the time I had finished, my PC would be out of date and FITS files would be a thing of the past. 🤣

• Like 1

I’ve seen some huge mosaics on APP’s website but I think they have been taken with a wide angle lens and a DSLR so probably comprise no more than your 35 maximum. 

I presume all sky surveys are never stitched together, the panels are referenced based on their sky co-ordinates?