SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter - 8 Nov 2022

geoflewis

I thought I'd consigned all my videos from 8 Nov 2022 to the trash, but when checking items to back up I found them still lurking on the hard drive, so I hada look at them. The conditions were very poor, with a lot of low cloud, so I was primarily experimenting with where in the optical train to locate the lens from my new Baader barlow ready for better conditions. I started out trying with a barlow screwed into the end of the nosepiece, giving F21 so no better than with my x2 TV PM, then screwed inside the nosepiece close to the sensor for F18, which was more what I was after. Neither of those amplifications were usable for the conditions, but I did capture a single run without the barlow, which is just about usable, so here is the result from that. It's best 6000 frames (~22%) from a 6 min SER, captured at 13ms (76 fps).

2022-11-08-2125_2-GDL-RGB-Jup_lapl4_ap27_F6000_sharp_R6(1-5-12)_AFP.jpg.9a2912db6007eba19707c969d08e3848.jpg

Having captured the data through a fair amount of haze, getting any detail to show whilst controlling noise proved challenging, but some details are coming through and oval BA is well seen just past the meridian.

• Like 5

Thanks. For this image I was using a permanently mounted C14, with an ASI462MC camera with and an ADC. If conditions are excellent I sometimes include a barlow or Powermate to increase operating focal length for additional amplification.