Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars and astronomy.

Franklin

I've always had a pair of binoculars to hand, just basic 7x50/10x50 porro prism types, yet I've never really used them for actually observing. They've been used more as an aid to finding my way around the sky and homing in on targets for the telescope. In short, I've been using my binoculars to get my bearings when searching for targets to observe with the telescope. I did try some big bins, 15x70 and 20x80, to see if they could be used for observations. Impossible for me to hand hold binoculars of this size and when tripod mounted, I've still struggled with position at the eyepiece. Any object above 45deg becomes a right pain in the neck and it seems to me that the angled eyepiece type binoculars, like the Vixen BT-81, with individual eyepieces would work much better. So big bins make sense for astronomy but what about the other end of the spectrum?

On a whim, I picked up a Vixen SG6.5x32ed roof prism binocular, used at a bargain price, and what can I say? The last clear night here I never even set the telescope up and spent the whole session with my eyes glued to these amazing little binoculars from Vixen. These are excellent and quite an unconventional size of binocular for astronomy. A huge field of view, great optics and individual eyepiece focusing. For sweeping through star-fields, milky-way, open clusters and nebula from a dark sky these little Vixens are superb. 

I think for higher power viewing of the moon and planets I will continue with my telescope and bino-viewers for now but am saving for some 45 or 90 degrees, big bins in the future.

I like the look of the Vixen BT-70ed, but they don't come cheap!!!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Franklin said:

I did try some big bins, 15x70 and 20x80, to see if they could be used for observations. Impossible for me to hand hold binoculars of this size and when tripod mounted.

Hi Franklin, for big binoculars 20x80 0r 25x100 you need something like a Parallelogram Mount, and a reclining chair/camping bed. or go 45 degree Bino's but they cost quite a lot of money mounted on something like this:

orionU.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/11/2022 at 05:35, Franklin said:

I've always had a pair of binoculars to hand, just basic 7x50/10x50 porro prism types, yet I've never really used them for actually observing. They've been used more as an aid to finding my way around the sky and homing in on targets for the telescope. In short, I've been using my binoculars to get my bearings when searching for targets to observe with the telescope. I did try some big bins, 15x70 and 20x80, to see if they could be used for observations. Impossible for me to hand hold binoculars of this size and when tripod mounted, I've still struggled with position at the eyepiece. Any object above 45deg becomes a right pain in the neck and it seems to me that the angled eyepiece type binoculars, like the Vixen BT-81, with individual eyepieces would work much better. So big bins make sense for astronomy but what about the other end of the spectrum?

On a whim, I picked up a Vixen SG6.5x32ed roof prism binocular, used at a bargain price, and what can I say? The last clear night here I never even set the telescope up and spent the whole session with my eyes glued to these amazing little binoculars from Vixen. These are excellent and quite an unconventional size of binocular for astronomy. A huge field of view, great optics and individual eyepiece focusing. For sweeping through star-fields, milky-way, open clusters and nebula from a dark sky these little Vixens are superb. 

I think for higher power viewing of the moon and planets I will continue with my telescope and bino-viewers for now but am saving for some 45 or 90 degrees, big bins in the future.

I like the look of the Vixen BT-70ed, but they don't come cheap!!!

~

Like you a 10x50 has always accompanied me while observing, but with diminishing star-counts due to light pollution finding one's way around can be difficult, at times.

Kowa has a 6.5x32 also, sporting a 10° field of view which makes locating areas far easier than higher mags can. These are my first choice when observing from home, nowadays.

IMGP3235.JPG.f2e5d1a173bc5450b8f60fd270df3e22.JPG

• Like 4

Whatever binoculars are used they will gather much more light than unaided eyes.  I fully agree with the idea of using binoculars with a smaller aperture than is traditionally recommended.  Smaller binoculars are far less tiring to use, can often have a wider field of view.

It’s a bit like telescopes- a smaller telescope is often much more convenient than a larger one and therefore is more likely to be used. It will show you more than a larger scope because its used more often.

That’s definitely not putting down larger binoculars or scopes. When you do drag out the big guns the views are very rewarding.

I can recall several sessions when viewing through a clubmates 20” Dob at Kelling Heath star party.  An especial highlight was MI3. The view was fabulous, totally mesmerising, fondly recalled.  But my 10” Dob from home “shows me more” because I can use it on any clear night.

Ed.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I always remember as a lad in the late 60s/early 70s that Sir Patrick Moore always urged would be observers to get a decent pair of binoculars rather than a cheap n nasty telescope.. a great way to learn the sky, he said and he was right.

I've always had a real fondness for binoculars..they are such versatile instruments, being great for sightseeing, nature watching, and in most cases, astronomy as well. They are low maintenance, good bang for buck, and just great fun to use: just point, focus, observe!

Tim, I heartily agree with you about smaller binoculars. My most used pair are Vixen Apex Pro 8x32 roof prisms which I too bought used about 3 years ago. My first ever pair of "roofs", I was, and am, delighted with them:

Pros:-

Small form factor, light weight but solid build, (can handhold them without fatigue for ages), wide 7.5 degree fov, very comfortable 4mm exit pupil, being 32mm aperture and 8x magnification, great ergonomics (very comfortable to hold), great eye relief, ultra smooth focusing, Made in Japan, superb phase coatings, waterproof, very little CA, and very sharp on-axis.

Cons:-

Very few indeed. Compared to my 7x50 Vixens' (recently acquired from your goodself of course!), the Apex Pros begin to go softer after c 60-70% out towards the edge of the field. But since these are mainly used for low power scanning and starfield cruising, it's never a major issue for me.

This particular model was I believe discontinued some 8 or more years ago, but occasionally come up for sale pre-owned. They also came in 8x40, 10x40 and 10x50mm variants as well.

Vixen also made an identical version of these for Avian Optics, called Ace Avian, and if you see either brand come up for sale in good condition for under £100, grab them, you will not be disappointed!👍

I also have 7x50 Vixen porros, waterproof and MIJ, recently acquired from Tim, as mentioned above. I haven't properly tested them as yet, but they are immaculate, weighty and interestingly have IF (Independent Focusing), rather than a traditional centre focus wheel. What I have already noticed is that these bins are very sharp out to 80% or more from the centre. Being 7x50s, they have a 7mm exit pupil, which for older eyes such as mine, might suffer in light polluted skies. I'm lucky enough to have fairly good Bortle 4 skies, so am probably not losing too much light from them. I will do more of a write up on these when I've used them more. These have a stated 7.3 deg fov.

Finally, I have my trusty, 20 year old Orion Mini Giant 9x63 porros, made in Japan , nice 5 degree fov and still going strong (they are still available new and still made in Japan). A 15x63 version is also available. I nearly always use mine on a Ravelli (Amazon basics) trigger grip mount (see photos), and they are lovely bins in every way..

Dave

IMG_20221218_171117088.jpg

IMG_20221218_171037691.jpg

IMG_20221218_171232431.jpg

IMG_20221218_171159899.jpg

IMG_20221218_171049285.jpg

IMG_20221218_171137611.jpg

IMG_20221218_171203196.jpg

IMG_20221218_171208554.jpg

IMG_20221218_171212299.jpg

IMG_20221214_154700359.jpg

IMG_20221214_154722700.jpg

IMG_20221214_154730033.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those 6.5x32 bins mentioned here sound very interesting, they would be a nice addition to my current arsenal of my Zeiss Vicory SF 10x42 (mostly for birding) and Helios LightQuest 16x80 (which I can hand-hold quite well, but I also use a Benro mono-pod with pistol grip and ball head, and for outreach on a p-mount)

IMAG1178.thumb.jpg.283bca6d219a1fb05c7df462938fc435.jpg

IMG_20171209_134249.thumb.jpg.b0e3f0ee115a4cb1ed8385423143c9fe.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/01/2023 at 14:46, DSviewer said:

I was looking at some celestron skymaster 25x 70 or 15x70 thoughts 

As already advised go for the pro version of the Celestron binoculars, you will thank us later. I would get the 15x70’s as with 25x70’s they will be very difficult to hold steady and on target, they will also produce a dimmer image. Ideally they would both require a tripod or monopod for a session. Good luck.