Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DC connectors

MG01

Does anyone have any recommendations for good solid DC connectors (5.5x2.1 type)? 👍  There's waaaay too much choice out there and if I can get a solid recommendation of cheaper than RS ones I'll jump on it.

Also I was hoping someone might be able to point me towards the type of screw DC connector that Skywatcher use on the upgraded EQ6 USB boards?  I've looked through the RS DC connectors and can't see anything like them. :icon_scratch:

I have been using those for many projects and for most parts they work okay. There's a few things that I don't like about them:

- The plastic shroud is typically quite flimsy and doesn't offer much of tension release for the wire.

- The cheaper ones don't have a good connection between the metallic parts and can become even worse over time depending on the mechanical strain they're exposed to.

- Some of them even fail to make a good connection between the male plug and female socket. I've had to throw away quite a few because of this.

Don't get me wrong. I still use a lot of them and they can be good. It's just that I've come across too many not so good ones. I think for future projects I will favor the GX12 style aviation connectors. They'll take up a little bit more space but I think it's a fair sacrifice...

Edited by kbrown
  • Like 1

If you want a more robust solution, and have the space to mount the connectors, then I'd recommend "Speakon" multi-pole connectors e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304607702082?hash=item46ec08ac42 & https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284973314751?hash=item4259bbb2bf, they are relatively easy to knock-up and have a simple insert/twist mating action, which has a wiping function that cleans the mating surfaces.

I also use a lot of the GX series (12/16) connectors e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284010878622?hash=item42205e169e, these are a simple insert with rotary locking ring.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've used the Switchcraft versions without a problem. They do need to be inserted all the way to get a connection but then they are solid.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-power-connectors/7051519

Not cheap but then quality rarely is.

The so called aviation connector terminals are solder resistant and require scraping to get down to the base metal. Weird having solder tags that resist solder. Had from various sources always the same.

Edited by Len1257
  • Thanks 1

It's amazing how much it all adds up to...I've used the neutrik versions of the speakon connectors before and have managed to recycle those for my main dc run to the scope.  I'm running 2core 4mm2 to keep the voltage drop down as I'll be at 8-9m by the time you include the ups and downs.

The 5.5mm connections are for between my new pegasus power hub and equipment and so will all be none screw type.  Except for the connector to the NEQ6 mount as that changed to a screw type when I replaced the control board.

For solid connections I'm a bit fan of the XT60.  Use them all the time in RC cars as they can take a good current. They are just a bit bulker though so in the past I've gone the RCA route like dew heaters.  Most of the cheap 5.5mm jacks are only rated for 1 amp, some even less!

I like the switch craft ones but I'm feeing northern and will probably fo with the RS 5amp ones...we have a trade counter not too far away so don't get nobbled on postage. 

Most 'cheap' 5.5 x 2.1 connectors are almost certainly at the low end of the market with no specified current handing capability. At least purchasing from a reputable company you will get some certainty in what you are buying as at least they have datasheet describing the operational specifications. Typical cheap 5.5 x 2.1 connectors only have a current carrying capability of 0.5A to 1A but some of the more expensive versions have up to 5A capability.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally gotten around to getting some GX12 and I'm wondering what is the standard for wiring these?

If I was to get the cable for the EQ6R for example would the positive be wired to connection 1 or 2?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MG01 said:

Finally gotten around to getting some GX12 and I'm wondering what is the standard for wiring these?

If I was to get the cable for the EQ6R for example would the positive be wired to connection 1 or 2?

22 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

I'd be interested if anyone has an answer - I couldn't find any information on this.

Michael

Pin 1 positive, I found a power adaptor cable online that uses this configuration but its a random choice in reality 😀

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Thanks 1

I have an AZ-EQ6 and EQ8-R using GX-12 power, and pin 1 is negative (common) on both. The EQ6R manual pinout diagram is the same as in the AZ-EQ6 and EQ8-R manuals. The manual diagrams show the connectors as viewed from the outside looking in.  It's convention that pin1 is the ground, common, or screen pin on multipole connectors but that's no guarantee.

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just to clarify I have now taken some photos of my new NEQ6 board (MC015) with GX-12 connector and can confirm that pin 1 is ground.  However what confuses the matter is that the new cable that came with the board uses the marked wire (with long dashes on it) to carry the ground to pin 1.  I was always taught that you identified the positive carrying wire, so this is incorrect in my understanding...but maybe the long dash is for negative in the chinese tradition?

image.thumb.jpeg.16cfb67586c450e14b0e50acd527a5c5.jpeg

At the mount we have pin 1 located to the top

image.thumb.jpeg.eb6ed41dcdaefd7916ccd880c00a45e5.jpeg

And inside we can see that the black cable (negative or ground) is at the top in Pin 1

image.thumb.jpeg.91d90ae172983b30544e6746b2c3bed4.jpeg

At the cigar lighter end we can just make out the marking on the wire going into the case spring, which again supports that this is the negative as the tip is posititve.

image.thumb.jpeg.acb8d64e4f27b05c367d228df34b85aa.jpeg

Finally I confirmed with my meter that Pin 1 was negative as connecting it to the positive terminal of my meter produced a negative voltage reading.

I hope that clarifies....and I'm glad I checked.

• Like 2

On DC power cables the stripe marked line should be the negative. Sometimes it's a continuous white stripe the whole length. It's just a convention and not a rule so always best to check. If it was a red stripe I imagine it would likely be positive. 🙂

The wiring on your cigar lighter end looks rather horrendous though. 😲

Alan

3 hours ago, symmetal said:

The wiring on your cigar lighter end looks rather horrendous though. 😲

Alan

Isn't it just!  Sometimes I wish I'd never looked!

3 hours ago, symmetal said:

On DC power cables the stripe marked line should be the negative. Sometimes it's a continuous white stripe the whole length. It's just a convention and not a rule so always best to check. If it was a red stripe I imagine it would likely be positive. 🙂

Well that makes sense....nothing like clear standards to make it simple!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skybadger said:

Really, I've always treated the black cable as ground and the striped cable as positive. 

Oops, you seem to be right @skybadger. A solid white stripe seems to be positive while the darker broken stripe is negative. :redface: Sorry, @MG01, but your cable was identified correctly. 😊

Alan

• Like 1