Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kielder Autumn 2009

Dixie

7th KIELDER FOREST AUTUMN STAR CAMP

Northumberland

14 – 19 October 2009

The 7th Kielder Forest Star Camp will be staged over five nights from 14 to 19 October in the spectacular Border countryside between England and Scotland. Bookings are now open.

The event is organised by the Kielder Observatory Astronomical Society, which runs the £480,000 observatory, built 1270 feet above England's remotest village. Participants will be able to use this tremendous new facility.

Star Camp will be based at Kielder campsite and for the sixth year in succession we have kept pitch fees at £12 per night for an electric hook-up and £10 without (per pitch). There’s also a minimum two night stay and fees must be paid up front.

Bookings are now being taken - please reserve your place early, especially if you require a hook up. They fill up rapidly.

The main day will be on Saturday 17 October at 18th century Kielder Castle. We will have top speakers and a full line-up of the nation’s leading astronomy vendors. Activities on the main day will be free. Details can be found at www.richarddarn.demon.co.uk/starcamp/ where we also have a booking form.

For further information contact me at starcamp2009@richarddarn.demon.co.uk, or call 01226 246351.

Cheers

Richard Darn

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My form is in the post now, looking forward to it as I missed the spring starcamp.

I noticed the was no option for booking clear skies on the form though, you might want to add that for next time...... :-)

Gary

Well unless SWMBO wants to go on holiday on that weekend, I'll be there for Thursday Friday and Saturday too.

Picked up a few tips last week, ESPECIALLY the amount of food and alcohol to take (courtesy of Phillydee :rolleyes: )

Looking forward to it and as I have ordered a longer cable for the Argo, I should be a lot more organised this time. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be there Wed-Mon - form and payment in and confirmed!

By the by, I was talking to Richard Darn at the Spring event and Ravenshill Forest Park (the lodges to the North of the campsite) had put in request for planning permission for land change in prep for 35 more lodges and 42 caravans.....

Well, I and others took the opportunity of writing to the planning office and, yesterday, I have received a response saying that the planning application has been rejected - on several grounds - including that it would "cause detriment to the amenity of residents and visitors".

So - fingers crossed they don't appeal - but reading between the lines, they wouldn't get it through anyway.

Keep Kielder Dark!

Robbie

Robbie

It's really good news that the planning application got turned down - I don't think it really fits in with the sustainable tourism angle Kielder is promoting to fill the sky with an orange glow. Thanks to everyone who went online to register their opposition.

Richard

• 5 weeks later...

I probably sholdn't be saying this, but it is often worth going up to Kielder early as there seem to be good clear nights before and after the event, last year Monday and Tuesday nights were superb, if a little taxing ing the gear due to the cold (about -5, ice on the inside of the tent by 8pm), on Monday night I had the field to myself as the other 2 had gone up to the observatory not to be seen until dawn.

And it was similar the previous year, so as they say the early bird catches the stars.

See you all there again this year!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a nice new 4 man (1 berth for me and 3 for the food and beer) tent, got a sleeping bag so I only need an inflateable mattress and a power lead and I'm ready.

I'm really looking forward to this as 3 nights under dark skys with no family distractions will give me a chance to really put the Argo through it's paces.

Cant wait, only chance I really get to use my scope tbh. Shame really. I dont have a back garden, and its rarely clear unless im at work!

If someone helps me with my tent, then theres plenty of beer going. I might even get the bbq's going again!

Kev, thanks for that, guess who's going to Aldi tonight :)

Phil, what day are you going up ? maybe we can make arrangements to get there at the same sort of time and share the tent erecting duties ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Kev, thanks for that, guess who's going to Aldi tonight :p

Phil, what day are you going up ? maybe we can make arrangements to get there at the same sort of time and share the tent erecting duties ?

Im up there thurs fri sat night. Probably arrive around 12-1ish on the Thursday. No brother with me this time. Means I might bring my pedal bike :). Then again, I might just bring more beer :).

Nice thinking :) I should be up there about the same time as you. One thought, I saw you powering a small fan heater from the supply up there. Do you think it's heavy duty enough to power a small two ring electric stove ?

Archived