SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dwarf II Smart telescope

Alex Mac

I'm seeing ads (elsewhere) for a gadget for astrophotography with built in tracking and GOTO, costing around £350. Appears to be aimed at people wanting to dip their toes in, and has applications in nature photography and perhaps sports. 

It's not due to ship until sometime this month, but it would be interesting to get views on this device and perhaps down the line, if anyone with expertise is tempted, reviews. (Not sure about the policy for link posting, but it should be easy to find in the inter-thingy.)

• Like 1

to be fair, if it does what the indigogo says and those pic samples are genuine - I think its a great starter for getting people interested. those results look similar to those from that 2000 quid one whatever it's called.

good luck to them.

stu

• Like 1

it says it's got a 673mm FL 'effective' whatever that means, but the pics show M33, etc. I mean, it's not for us, but compared to something like the stellina its a cery good deal seems to me.

plus it says it can track visual targets in daytime. e.g. birds, etc. No video of that though. If it can, I'd have though there might be interest from the wildlife crowd.

take standard 1.25" filters too.

@Alien 13 I've often thought there's no reason why a standard mobile phone gimbal couldn't be made to AZ track.  Some do object tracking fine with the right software. With some mobiles having 10x optical telephotos now, with the right software to do AZ star tracking it would certainly be interesting to see what the cameras could do.

If someone wrote a sort an eqmod to dji osmo bridge (dji has an sdk), then it should just work with synscan for example.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, powerlord said:

i

@Alien 13 I've often thought there's no reason why a standard mobile phone gimbal couldn't be made to AZ track.  Some do object tracking fine with the right software. With some mobiles having 10x optical telephotos now, with the right software to do AZ star tracking it would certainly be interesting to see what the cameras could do.

Pentax cameras have sensors that do star tracking with the Astrotracer function, I'm surprised it's not been incorporated into phone camera sensors. Then again, maybe it has and I've missed it.

PENTAX: The choice for astrophotography / explore | RICOH IMAGING (ricoh-imaging.co.jp)

• Like 1