SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Remote Desktop set up with Vixen SXD2 and Starbook 10?

900SL

My mount is a Vixen SXD2 with Starbook 10.

I have a Mele Quieter 2 PC and I've set it up for remote desktop access and loaded it with software, Ascom Platform, associated hardware drivers and the Vixen SXD2 Ascom driver

Am I correct in assuming the following cabling/connections:

Mini PC to Mount:

Mele Q2 connected via LAN cable to SB10 for guiding, imaging using NINA and PHD2 using the Ascom platform. This appears to be the only way to connect a PC to the SB10. 

Mini PC to accessories:

Mele Q2 connected via USB3 ports to main camera, EAF, guidescope camera etc

Mini PC remote connection to desktop PC:

Mele Q2 and remote desktop PC connected using Win 10 Pro Remote Desktop and using a local router via Wifi (a TP Link Nano Router mounted on the Vixen Mount acting as stand alone router, no internet access)

My desktop is only ten meters from my mount so the Wifi connection should be stable, 

Appreciate any advice on this as I'm a Certified Network Idiot 

1 hour ago, StarryEyed said:

Yes that looks right. If you can manage it try setting it all up over a lan connection first then swap to wifi. This way you can be sure it works. wifi is often the most troublesome point. 

How would I do that? I'm a luddite when it comes to networking 😂

Use a router with a number of LAN ports? Run a LAN cable to the SB10, one to the Mini PC and one to the remote desktop PC? 

12 minutes ago, 900SL said:

How would I do that? I'm a luddite when it comes to networking 😂

Use a router with a number of LAN ports? Run a LAN cable to the SB10, one to the Mini PC and one to the remote desktop PC? 

Yes plug it all into your router or better a switch (a switch just has LAN ports on it so things can communicate with each other less than a tenner)  using LAN cables or just bring it in doors and set it all up before taking it outside. If you plug a monitor mouse and keyboard into the PC and get it all working nicely indoors you will save yourself a lot of time and once its outside you will know the only variable thing is the wifi.

• Thanks 1