SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASI 585mc with 150 newton / alt-az mount

aGent

I just ordered ZWO ASI 585MC as my first camera to my Star Discovery 150/750 newton.  I wonder how it will do with field rotation problems on alt-az, but i watched couple of youtube videos where people do surprisingly nice dso astrophotos on alt-az mounts with 10-30s exposures. I hope for similar results.  I can post some samples here in the future ;) Have fun

Edited by aGent

3 hours ago, aGent said:

I just ordered ZWO ASI 585MC as my first camera to my Star Discovery 150/750 newton.  I wonder how it will do with field rotation problems on alt-az, but i watched couple of youtube videos where people do surprisingly nice dso astrophotos on alt-az mounts with 10-30s exposures. I hope for similar results.  I can post some samples here in the future ;) Have fun

Even with short exposures you will still have field rotation. The field will rotate 15 degrees for every hour you spend on a target. You may not see much of that in single subs, but you will need to crop a major part of your stacked image.

One way to minimize the effect of field rotation is to image over multiple nights. Say you have 4 hours to spend from 8 pm until midnight. You choose 4 targets. The first hour you image target 1, then one hour on target 2, etc. The next night you do the same again. Between 8 and 9 pm you image target 1, between 9 and 10 pm target 2, etc. As long as you make sure that you image target 1 in the time slot between 8 and 9 pm, target 2 between 9 and 10 pm, you can limit field rotation. Of course, you will need multiple nights of clear weather, and you will need to make sure that your camera angle always is the same. The alternative is that you rotate the camera during a long session. But doing so, you may need flats for every change in angle.

• Like 1

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to ASI 585mc with 150 newton / alt-az mount
8 hours ago, wimvb said:

[...] As long as you make sure that you image target 1 in the time slot between 8 and 9 pm, target 2 between 9 and 10 pm, you can limit field rotation. Of course, you will need multiple nights of clear weather, and you will need to make sure that your camera angle always is the same. The alternative is that you rotate the camera during a long session. But doing so, you may need flats for every change in angle.

Very interesting approach i will try this for sure, thanks man :) 

• 5 months later...