SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Io Kisses the SEB and Casts a Shadow, and More

cloudsweeper

7.00pm Thursday, 8SE with Focal Reducer. Jupiter, Moon (2 days past 1st quarter), and Saturn in a line between SE and S. Aligned on the Moon.

Io kisses the SEB and casts a shadow

With x36, I saw Ganymede and Europa west of Jupiter (sky orientation), Callisto east. Io was crossing the planet’s face. At x107 I saw Io’s shadow on the SEB. The tiny black spot was clearer at x128. At 8.20, with x107, emerging Io was just kissing the disc by the SEB (to the west), and the tiny black shadow was still clearly made out. Throughout this time, Jupiter was very sharp and clear, the best I’ve seen in a while, but then clouds prevented any attempt to tease out any further detail!

Saturnian moons and some detail

Across to Saturn. Titan clearly seen at x36. With x128, Rhea was spotted with AV, as was the planet’s shadow on its rings, and a belt on the disc, above the rings. The Moon was too close for any further Saturnian moons to show up.

A great session, lasting 1.5 hours, very successful, and once again revealing things I wasn’t expecting. This pastime very often provides pleasant surprises!

Doug.

• Like 6