Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

zwo cameras

quigley

I have two new ZWO cameras, one is a 120mc-s basic solar imager/autoguider. I haven't a clue how to turn it on. I have it plugged into the laptop with the supplied cable. ASI software in the laptop but where's the 'switch'? How do I see an image through the camera on the laptop? I'm lost and the youtube stuff doesn't deal with this at all....thanks anyone!

Edited by quigley

4 hours ago, quigley said:

I have two new ZWO cameras, one is a 120mc-s basic solar imager/autoguider. I haven't a clue how to turn it on. I have it plugged into the laptop with the supplied cable. ASI software in the laptop but where's the 'switch'? How do I see an image through the camera on the laptop? I'm lost and the youtube stuff doesn't deal with this at all....thanks anyone!

You need to download software similar to Sharpcap that will allow you to use your cameras by selecting the right one in the options list when you connect it up to you PC/laptop.

https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/

• Like 1

The camera will need a lens to see without a lens the image would show whether it was light or dark depending which way you had pointed the camera and nearby light sources. If you bought new there might be an allsky lens in the box. With a lens (which could be the allsky lens or a telescope) then the camera could see. From memory you'll need to install the zwo driver first then zwo software or sharpcap to be able to see the image the camera sees. There is no switch when the usb is plugged in the camera is ready to be used by software like sharpcap

• Like 1

You need to download the ZWO camera drivers first for ASI Sstudio or Sharpcap to pick the cameras up.

Sharpcap will let you select the camera from the menu and tends to show an image with auto settings - so a little more user friendly for first use.

AsiStudio does have a software connect switch for the camera,  but it's less complex.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Y

Sharpcap will let you select the camera from the menu and tends to show an image with auto settings - so a little more user friendly for first use.

I agree, I find Sharpcap more user friendly than the ZWO ASI software.

Sharpcap is available for free download (currently on version 4.0), and there are quite a few good videos on YouTube regarding how to use it.

John 

11 hours ago, quigley said:

If you are running Windows then you need the software drivers (link has been provided by @StevieDvd. Detailed info is here https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/manuals/ASICameras-software-Manual-Windows-EN.pdf. If you are a Mac or Linux user then it should work straightaway.

What is the other ZWO camera that you have? Some of them come with a wideangle lens and that should help you 'see' images. Otherwise you will need to attach it to a scope to get clear images. Without either of these you will be able to only see hazy patches of light and dark when you move your camera around. As you have ASI Studio click on the ASI capture software, it will tell you which camera is connected. You just need to click the connect button and set exposure and gain to Auto to see the camera in action.

Good luck.

Edited by AstroMuni

6 hours ago, newbie alert said:

A colour cam isn't the best for solar or used as a guide cam

There's no switch, just the  ascom drivers and your choice of capture software needed

I used to guide with a Mono Atik 16ic on one rig and an OSC 16ic on the other. Their performances were identical. Mono is preferable, certainly, but I found no real-world difference.

Olly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I used to guide with a Mono Atik 16ic on one rig and an OSC 16ic on the other. Their performances were identical. Mono is preferable, certainly, but I found no real-world difference.

Olly

Was more for the solar work...

Yes you can use a OSC for both but  if you had a mono for solar then it can double up as a guide cam