Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flextube Newtonian on an EQ Mount?

I'm looking for some guidance and/ or practical suggestions on whether or not I can take my 8" Flextube Newtonian OTA off of its dobsonian base and put it on an EQ mount.  The tube weight is about 11kg, so I'm guessing at least HEQ5 or equivalent, more likely something like the EQ6-R-Pro.

I'm not sure if/ how I'd connect tube rings/ dovetail bar to the flex-tube system, if this is at all practical and if it could be done and leave me able to balance the rig.

Is this doable or just a daft idea?

I just have to ask "Why?".

If you want equatorial tracking, put it on an equatorial platform.

Do you want to do DSO astrophotography with it?  I doubt if the struts are rigid enough for astrophotography.

You do realize how heavy an EQ6-R-Pro would be, right? (93 pounds)  Why would you want to haul all that extra weight out just to observe?

23 minutes ago, Louis D said:

You do realize how heavy an EQ6-R-Pro would be, right? (93 pounds)  Why would you want to haul all that extra weight out just to observe?

I think mount, tripod and 2 x 5kg weights would be 77 pounds but point taken....

24 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I just have to ask "Why?".

If you want equatorial tracking, put it on an equatorial platform.

Do you want to do DSO astrophotography with it?  I doubt if the struts are rigid enough for astrophotography.

Long story short, my motorised goto system has died on me (probably the motherboard).  I'm probably going to just buy a new rig (either another goto dob or more likely a newtonian on an EQ mount), but my thinking is that I might be able to just buy a new mount first and use my existing OTA.

2 hours ago, Jimbo64 said:

Long story short, my motorised goto system has died on me (probably the motherboard).  I'm probably going to just buy a new rig (either another goto dob or more likely a newtonian on an EQ mount), but my thinking is that I might be able to just buy a new mount first and use my existing OTA.

Get it repaired. There are various threads here on this or similar issues.  Much cheaper than buying an EQ6.  Is a flex-tube suitable for single-sided attachment?

2 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Get it repaired. There are various threads here on this or similar issues.  Much cheaper than buying an EQ6.  Is a flex-tube suitable for single-sided attachment?

Oh, would you know who/ where could do the repair???