SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Unnamed creature and a possible PN in Lacerta - suggestions please!

gorann

Last night it cleared but I had no big hopes since mist was supposed to roll in around 22.00. The mist turned out to wait until 03.00, so with my dual-RASA rig I collected 13.5 hours with the IDAS NBZ filter (and ASI2600MC) of some quite weak but distinct nebulosity in Lacerta. This is a very rarely imaged area in Lacerta and the main object stretching diagonally has as far as I can tell no name or number (not even @wimvb could find one although he tells me the horizontal red nebulosity top left is PLCKECC G092.83-11.03).

1) So any suggestions for a name of the whitish diagonal nebulosity? This is your chance to name a celestial object😆. I am tempting to call it The Snake in Lacerta (a bit fun since Lacerta is latin for lizard).

2) It was Dana Patchick (a PN hunter in California) that suggested to me to image this area since he suspects a PN is to be found there. And there is something in the image that could be a very weak PN. I am not telling you now where it is suggested to be, but if anyone can spot it and it coincides with the suggestion from Dana it would be interesting (kind of a blind test).

Cheers, Göran

731112565_20221029-30DanaPNLacertaRASA12PS14smallSign.thumb.jpg.0de9fc91fd15f64f34bd2717415e4882.jpg

Platesolve in Astrobin:

1721716127_Screenshot2022-10-30at20_47_11.thumb.png.b11c7044e17107fdc7f270a4bebb1cd8.png

A bunch of galaxies platesolved by Wim in PI:

_20221029_30_Dana_PN_Lacerta_RASA1_2_PS11_sel_stars_galaxies_from_PS2__Annotated.jpg.4a67d22ad82ec2cbc1020da1ad207584.thumb.jpg.5e46803bfe4263c15e0b437417b25326.jpg

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, Dan_Paris said:

I did not find the NP but I really like your image.

Lacerta is a very interesting part of the sky, with lots of nebulosity, dust and galaxies at the same time.

Thanks a lot Dan, I agree about Lacerta!

56 minutes ago, gorann said:

(not even @wimvb could find one although he tells me the horizontal red nebulosity top left is PLCKECC G092.83-11.03).

Actually, the snake's head near the top left corner is 

[DB2002b] G93.46-12.63

The Ha cloud next to it doesn't have a name, afaIk.

The appendage above HD 209919 is PLCKECC G092.83-11.03. Its head is on the almost horizontal line RA 22h 8m

I agree that the bright reflection cloud should have a popular name.  [DB2002b] G93.46-12.63 doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

Simbad did not find a white dwarf candidate in or near the presumed PN.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Looks like a shell of sorts to the right of HD209919, is this the PN? Hard to tell since it is so weak and diffuse, but a roughly circular cloud with a darker center as most PNs appear to have.

Interesting, @wimvb made the same suggestion..........

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Actually, the snake's head near the top left corner is 

[DB2002b] G93.46-12.63

The Ha cloud next to it doesn't have a name, afaIk.

The appendage above HD 209919 is PLCKECC G092.83-11.03. Its head is on the almost horizontal line RA 22h 8m

I agree that the bright reflection cloud should have a popular name.  [DB2002b] G93.46-12.63 doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

Simbad did not find a white dwarf candidate in or near the presumed PN.

Thanks a lot for the catalogue digging Wim!

19 minutes ago, carastro said:

How about the Serpent Nebula.  
Great image. 

Carole

Thanks Carole!

@wimvb messaged me an interesting suggestion: The Lizard Shed Nebula. It is in the constellation of the Lizard and lizards do shed yearly and this thing looks a bit as a disorganized reptile shed.

Now you just have to find a possible PN in the image.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

For the name: The longbow nebula. The little bits to the left of the main body look like a broken string and the main body of the nebula look like a bow with a bit of recurve on both ends. Recurve bow nebula sounds worse, so longbow nebula is my suggestion.

4 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

For the name: The longbow nebula. The little bits to the left of the main body look like a broken string and the main body of the nebula look like a bow with a bit of recurve on both ends. Recurve bow nebula sounds worse, so longbow nebula is my suggestion.

Interesting suggestion - I did not see that one until now😄

13 minutes ago, tomato said:

How about the Ear Trumpet Nebula?

Certainly has the shape. This got me thinking that The Smoking Pipe nebula or The Saxophone Nebula are other possibilities😄

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 09.17.39.png

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 09.19.18.png

2 hours ago, tomato said:

How about the Ear Trumpet Nebula?

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Certainly has the shape. This got me thinking that The Smoking Pipe nebula or The Saxophone Nebula are other possibilities😄

I think we should keep it biological, reptilian.

I have a Samyang 135 with an Omegon veTEC571 (and IDAS NBZ filter) piggybacking on my dual-RASA rig (so it is in reality a triple rig) but I wait until last to see what it has caught as a kind of bonus, and I do not do anything about its framing, so it is always a surprise. Now I have had a look at that data and this is what it found. It makes me lean towards Wim's suggestion of the Lizard Shed Nebula, since you here can see how it has crawled from it shedded overcoat to its new position on top of the bright red Sh2-126 on the far left of the image.

20221029-30 Dana PN Lacerta SY135 PS16smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CCD-Freak said:

My first thought was the Cobra Nebula.  8^P

There was one, a King cobra, on the loose in a Stockholm zoo recently. So this would actually make a lot of sense. 😁

• Haha 1