SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help with knowing what we saw

Hi everyone, my special needs son is really into the solar system. So I brought a telescope for him , these are the first pictures we took of Jupiter and it’s moons . Then we realised we could see Neptune and the if you look closely there is something in front of Neptune? We think it’s Nereid the furthest moon? Can anyone help us as we are beginnings at this , although my son knows all the planets in order and all the moons, lol . Thank you everyone, Simon and Charlie . 

19FE31B4-13F6-4E7D-A654-7E58AE16134A.jpeg

DA510622-7D09-47BB-BB5A-21A90C14C0CC.jpeg

F61D00F7-086D-46C0-846B-4E78BCD79C89.jpeg

I don't think that is Neptune (or Uranus) as it is in completely the wrong place. Have a look on Stellarium and set it to the time and date the photo was taken and you might be able to figure out what it is. Also, it is helpful if you tell us what telescope was used so that we know whether it mirrors or views things upside-down, etc.

If your images are erect and not mirrored, then in the lower one, Neptune would be way, way over to the right of Jupiter following a line drawn through the moons. Probably about ten times as far from Jupiter in your image as the distance across the moons.

https://stellarium-web.org/

Hi Neil , 

thanks for reply, if you zoom in to what we think is Neptune, which is roughly in the right place behind Jupiter. There seem to be an object? But it don’t look like light flare you can see certain marks in the object . My sons face when he saw Jupiter, PRICELESS!!

thanks Simon 

19 minutes ago, Simon Faulkner said:

Hi Neil , 

thanks for reply, if you zoom in to what we think is Neptune, which is roughly in the right place behind Jupiter. There seem to be an object? But it don’t look like light flare you can see certain marks in the object . My sons face when he saw Jupiter, PRICELESS!!

thanks Simon 

Hi Simon,

Is the thing I circled in red what you are thinking is Neptune? If so, then I’m afraid I’m with Neil on this, I’m sure it is a lens flare. Two reasons why, firstly Jupiter is over six degrees away from Neptune currently which is much more than the spread of Jupiter’s Moon. Secondly Neptune appears tiny in the eyepiece so would not show up as this object has. You won’t see any surface detail either as it barely appears as a disk even in a larger scope.

Not to worry, seeing Jupiter is pretty amazing, glad your lad enjoyed it! 👍

Out of interest, which scope do you have?

Welcome to the forum, I’m sure you will find lots of useful information and help here 👍

62AFBFEE-C7A8-45B0-B9A5-2DF7CDDCE655.jpeg

• Like 3

I hope the blue object to be Neptune, but if you zoom in at 7 o’clock in your circle there seems to be an object there ?? 
this was a picture I took tonight .

and thank you for the warm welcome . My special needs son has taught me so much about our solar system . It give me so much joy doing what he loves , looking at the solar system . 

746097FA-21D7-45B9-8174-3C0C21BD7DD9.jpeg

F9177C10-8E0B-4248-88C5-8C325424D448.jpeg

This is how Jupiter and it's four resolvable moons normally looks via camera through an eyepiece with minimal distortion, visually it will look like this also but you'll be able to see band details on the planet depending on seeing conditions:

220623041620.thumb.jpg.e5e437e26e301355d971f9f31bbceaaf.jpg

Are you referring to something completely different in your image?

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Simon Faulkner said:

I hope the blue object to be Neptune, but if you zoom in at 7 o’clock in your circle there seems to be an object there ?? 
this was a picture I took tonight .

and thank you for the warm welcome . My special needs son has taught me so much about our solar system . It give me so much joy doing what he loves , looking at the solar system . 

746097FA-21D7-45B9-8174-3C0C21BD7DD9.jpeg

F9177C10-8E0B-4248-88C5-8C325424D448.jpeg

Hi Simon,

Those are all internal reflections in your setup, not Neptune. Jupiter is quite bright, so can easily cause effects like that.

Let us know your setup, ie which scope and eyepiece used and that will help us help you.

Enjoy.

• Like 1