Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Report 312 for 3.3 kg refractor?

Ags

Looking at getting a taller tripod for my LP90 telescope (relatively short, 3.3 kgs) as my my current tall tripod (Artcise 60C) isn't up to the job. I am thinking of replacing my Berlebach Report 112 with a Report 312, but not sure it will be good enough? 

The alternative for not too much more money is the Uni 18, but firstly it's rather heavy  and secondly how would I attach a 3/8" head to it?

The alternative alternative is sell the Report 112, and get the Skywatcher AZ5 with steel tripod and extension tube...

If you do decide to sell the Report 112 I may be interested.

However, one solution might be to just buy a Module Insert 2 to fit to your Report 112.  This is a centre column.  There are various options shown on the drop-down menu, including geared and manual, the latter with different heights. 

https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=491https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=491

On 30/10/2022 at 11:57, Ags said:

Looking at getting a taller tripod for my LP90 telescope (relatively short, 3.3 kgs) as my my current tall tripod (Artcise 60C) isn't up to the job. I am thinking of replacing my Berlebach Report 112 with a Report 312, but not sure it will be good enough? 

The alternative for not too much more money is the Uni 18, but firstly it's rather heavy  and secondly how would I attach a 3/8" head to it?

The alternative alternative is sell the Report 112, and get the Skywatcher AZ5 with steel tripod and extension tube...

I had a Report 312 for a while. Used it with a Scopetech Mount Zero and a 102mm ED refractor. I did not find it stable enough. Ended up with a 1,75" steel tripod instead, and it was better, and alot cheaper! Only a little bit heavier. The Report might work better with 90mm Long Perng, but the steel option will still be better.

I ended up getting rid of the Mount Zero aswell, and got the AZ5 instead. The AZ5 might be "cruder", but it was more stable. The AZ5 on steel legs is a very good combo, at a very good price. 

Have you considered a better carbon fiber tripod instead? Im using a Leofoto LM-363C and the az-gti with a C6 on top. Works great. Im using it sitting down though, so I am not sure how it performs standing up at max length. It's only 1.85 kg, so it is a better option than the Report if portability matters. 

When it comes to fairly small and light tripods, I don't really care for wood anymore. Steel is more stable, at a much lower price, and carbon fiber is a lot more portable. 

• Like 1