Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from cloudy Wiltshire

ct71

Thought I should finally say hello after months of getting invaluable information from these forums.  The weather is not with us in Wiltshire tonight.  The Met Office promised clear skies for a few hours this evening but alas not to be.

I've got a 90mm refractor and am enjoying all it offers, particularly the planets!

Chris

• Like 2

Hello Chris

Perhaps tomorrow night is slightly better, but with low pressure anchored to the west it's drawing up alot of clag and fronts. 

Scotland and northern England have had better luck with the weather. Quite a few photos of Aurora from those areas last night/tonight.

I've got my DSLR taking shots incase a Taurid fireball appears, another hour or so and the cloud and drizzle will arrive.

Edited by scotty1

Thanks for all the messages.  The clouds parted later on in the night but the seeing was poor - stars twinkling a lot so went to bed instead.

On 30/10/2022 at 09:30, rwilkey said:

Hi Chris, a warm welcome from me too, also in Wiltshire, where are you?  Clear skies!

Robin - I'm just outside of Corsham.  Am lucky to have better than average suburban skies with a semi rural aspect.  Some light pollution to the East and South but mainly low on the horizon.  Aiming to visit a dark sky site one day!

Chris

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris and a warm welcome to SGL.

If you want dark skies, you're only a couple of hours from Wales' Brecon Beacons. Spectacular skies there (when it stops raining!). 😂

Edited by cajen2

20 hours ago, ct71 said:

Robin - I'm just outside of Corsham.  Am lucky to have better than average suburban skies with a semi rural aspect.  Some light pollution to the East and South but mainly low on the horizon.  Aiming to visit a dark sky site one day!

Hi Chris, That's not far, I used to drive through Corsham frequently on my way to Bath.  Your nearest astronomical society is https://wasnet.org.uk/

I am a member, they have monthly observing sessions in a dark sky spot - The Red Lion in Lacock - do give them a try, they meet once a month at Seend.

Best wishes

Thanks all.

On 31/10/2022 at 14:19, cajen2 said:

If you want dark skies, you're only a couple of hours from Wales' Brecon Beacons. Spectacular skies there (when it stops raining!). 😂

I've discovered my in laws are ten mins away from a dark sky site although not convinced it will be as dark as the Brecons.  Cranborne Chase (South Wiltshire) has got a dark sky designation so will be checking that out.

On 01/11/2022 at 09:14, rwilkey said:

am a member, they have monthly observing sessions in a dark sky spot - The Red Lion in Lacock - do give them a try, they meet once a month at Seend.

Robin - Great to know.  Very close to me.  We are at Lacock all the time with our children.  I'll be joining!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am also from Wiltshire ( Salisbury specifically ) so am quite close to Cranborne chase- its  Bortle 4 according to cleardarksky.com. 

unfortunately it does seem to always be cloudy on new moon ( and every other phase of the moon ).  :BangHead:

kind regards 

Harry

• 5 months later...