Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Street lighting is improving.

Cyril

I was dismayed when I discovered that they had started to erect lights along the A road that passes our village, it's a busy road during the day but at night it's quiet, so I wrote to the authorities about them.

The reply was quick and informative.

"I can confirm that the street lighting being installed within the extended section will be LED luminaires with flat cut off lenses and a lower colour temperature. This technology is commonly specified in dark sky areas and is sympathetic to astronomy.

In addition to this, we have specified dynamic road lighting within this section. The dynamic lighting will operate at full power during peak traffic periods and then dim to 10% power output out with these periods. The system will then only increase lighting levels when a pedestrian or cyclist movement is detected, whereby lighting will be increased gradually for small sections as the user navigates along the stretch, with the section they leave behind gradually reverting back to 10%."

Perhaps our wildlife will now have a better chance crossing the road as well.

• Like 11

Wow - that sounds great.

I was flying low over Edinburgh last week, coming in to land at the airport. The view of the city was strikingly different from previous flights (over a few years ago). The LED lamps are well directed downwards and the city is obviously darker - the roads are lit but the lamps do not show at all from above. It was quite weird.

It did make those awful huge electronic advertising billboards stand out though!

• Like 1

What an enlightened organization 😀

I ought to know the answer to this, but as it's for an 'A' road, would the "authorities" in question be the Highways Agency or your local council? If you don't mind sharing their identity, it might be a useful case to cite by other members whose experiences have been less sympathetic.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

What an enlightened organization 😀

I ought to know the answer to this, but as it's for an 'A' road, would the "authorities" in question be the Highways Agency or your local council? If you don't mind sharing their identity, it might be a useful case to cite by other members whose experiences have been less sympathetic.

National Highways for English motorways and strategic roads. I don't know the equivalent for Scotland. County or Unitary Authority for the rest.

• Thanks 1