Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crack in dew heater on 294MC Pro? Is this fixable?

oymd

Evening everyone

As I was cable managing yesterday night, I nudged the power for the dew heater strip on my 294MC Pro, and I heard a snap. 

Looks like there’s a crack now in the wire. If I carefully tape this, would it still work?

More importantly, if I do try to see if it works, could I cause some sort of short and fry the camera, since they now share a common power port?

Thanks

170D512F-2BA4-4FFA-83B8-0927E842840D.jpeg

Yes, it probably is fixable (scrape off the insulation and lightly solder a fine wire across the break) but that would produce a bump, and so introduce a till, so as suggested, it would be easier/better to just buy a new one.

Edited by Dr_Ju_ju
mis type
  • Like 1

On 26/10/2022 at 20:51, Tomatobro said:

If its open circuit then peel if off and fit a new one. £22 plus postage from Flo

12 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Yes, it probably is fixable (scrape off the insulation and lightly solder a fine wire across the break) but that would produce a bump, and so introduce a till, so as suggested, it would be easier/better to just buy a new one.

5 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

When the new one is fitted put a plastic tie wrap round the camera body where the black connector comes out to take the strain off the heater connection

Thank you all for your replies. 

There is indeed a black zip tie on the camera body. You can see it if you look carefully at the picture. 

The issue is I’m on vacation and this setup is abroad at my remote Obs. 

FLO does not ship to where I am now. 

Is there a DIY fix I can do as a temporary fix till I get back to Blighty and order a new one?

I think overall the engineering and design of this ring is terrible. The power cables are very very stiff, and they are of equal length, where they should have designed them with one shorter than the other. 

With regards to removing the plastic insulation and soldering the golden traces, I might try that at a local electronics shop. It will not introduce any tilt as it’s no where near the imaging train. 

you could try scraping off the insulation across the break & then selotape a small piece of baking tinfoil across the break, & if you're luck it may not introduce any tilt, especially if you 'balance' out the with additional tape spaced around the heater....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

you could try scraping off the insulation across the break & then selotape a small piece of baking tinfoil across the break, & if you're luck it may not introduce any tilt, especially if you 'balance' out the with additional tape spaced around the heater....

Thanks Julian

Tinfoil! That's a good idea. I will try that.

Why do you think that will introduce tilt?

The dew heater is on the camera body, and the imaging train connects to the 11mm T2 ring, which stands proud from the surface of the camera by 11mm?

If there is that gap around the heater, such that the heater only connects to the camera body, as you say, by your T2 ring, all should be ok, but my camera (1600) screws directly to the filter wheel body, so anything, even a hair etc, has the potential for a lopsided fit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If there is that gap around the heater, such that the heater only connects to the camera body, as you say, by your T2 ring, all should be ok, but my camera (1600) screws directly to the filter wheel body, so anything, even a hair etc, has the potential for a lopsided fit. 

ahh...I see what you mean now.

My camera is an OSC, so no filter wheel.

Thanks for the tip