SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binocular stargazing and carpal tunnel/wrist issues (heavy)

Just curious what people do with carpal tunnel/wrist issues when binocular stargazing. Holding 38oz or whatever for more than few minutes is.. hard. Was considering like a monopod to hold with a pistol grip, this would be in a gravity chair for the most part. Curious on any suggestions? I almost want to spring for lightweight IS bino's but even holding a light paperback book "up" like that is hard for me.

Edited by pevsfreedom

Ok so I too have CT as you do but I control mine very well with Naproxen. Not sure if it is licenced over in the states but it worked wonders for me and saved me a very painful procedure. Only problem is it's going to be a lifetime subscription.

I do have some 10x30 IS canons. I am given to believe these are as good as 10x50 standard bins in finding objects due to their stabilising properties. I do like using them on day trips out, holidays and such like, used for both daytime and night time viewing. Being light they are easy to get along with but I do run with short sessions so not sure about the carpel issues.

I also own a pair of TS optics 82mm (45 degree) Giant bins and these are mounted on a tripod held parallelogram. The viewing range of these is x15 to x59 and they are amazing to use with the parallelogram. The versatility of it is hard to overstate, cruising around the nightsky is a pleasure but key to you (and me) is there is no real pressure onto the median nerve as your hands are not permanently engaged. Pretty much similar to using a dob.

Finally I do also own a pair of 20x60 bins and have used these terrestrially on a tripod pistol grip mount. Never used them in the night time but I imagine they would work fine. However, your likely to be gripping more to control your bins and more likely to compress your median nerve. 

Hope this helps.

Steve