Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

**Space*Hopper**

My best M3 to date

Hi all,

I am very pleased to finally be able to share with you my first DSO image from my recently purchased C8 SCT. As many of you will know, I have really struggled to produce stackable full resolution subs, (a problem which I had not experienced with my less powerfull ED100). However thanks to the fantastic advice and encouragement from many fellow forum members, all came right in the end and the lessons I have learnt from this project will prove envaluable for future ones.

When I compare this M3 to last years taken through the ED100 the difference is astonishing, partly I guess down to the extra light grasp of the C8 but also down to many other things resulting from the advice I have received such as using a focus mask and taking subs in RAW format.

For me, looking back at my previous images to see if this years are better than the ones I took of the same object last year is great fun and certainly in this instance with M3, there is a vast improvement which must mean that I am heading in the right direction ;).

Anyway enough talk, here is the image.

:rolleyes:

Ian

M3-27-3-09-11 FILES - FULL SIZE STACK - PROCESSED-DIMMER CENTRE.bmp

That is lovely and crisp Ian, and has a real '3D' feel about the centre, looks like a proper blob of stars, heh! Well done

Amanda

That's a fine Image Ian. It's great when it all starts to gel.

You can look forward to getting good results in the furture too.

Ron.;)

Thanks for the kind comments ;)

Very impressive, was it taken at f10?

Yes mate it was, with my trusty Canon EOS 400D and it's the result of 11 x 30 sec subs @ ISO 1600 and 8 x 30 sec darks. Stacked in DSS and tweaked in Paint Shop Pro 8, (although I must admit that I still have a lot to learn as far as processing goes also).

Well Done Ian ... Nice to see you got there ;)

If you don't mid one further bit of advice..?

Look at all of the subs and see if any of them show more trailing than the rest... if they do remove them and restack the image... If they all look the same then the mount needs to be slighlty better polar aligned... now that your imaging at longer focal lenghts these things become more and more critical.

Peter...

Nice image...;) It is interesting to go back and see where you were a year or so ago and compare to today. Always something to learn and another bar to raise....:rolleyes: