Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Not sure which scope to get (looking at two different ones)

2 minutes ago, starhiker said:

Thanks! Another item into my to-buy list!

No problem.  I have them on 1.25 and 2 inch.  They are a great little piece of kit to have 

There are a couple of things in this thread that I would suggest from a different perspective.  How much magnification can you really use is the first.  Well that depends on where you are.  Here in Ohio the sky limits me to about 300x on a normal night.  One a really good night I might get to 400x.  With that said there is always one target that can take all the magnification you can throw at it..... the moon. The moon at 500x is magnificent.  You should check it out sometime.

The second is lasers for collimation.  Do they work.  Yep they work just fine, but you do have to make sure they are properly sorted .  I use a laser with my ten inch and have no issues at all.  

19 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

And if you want an easy way to check a laser's collimation:

Its a great idea.... Right up to the point where you drop one of them..... and step on it 

Edited by Mike Q

26 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

And if you want an easy way to check a laser's collimation:

This is a great idea, right up to the point when a piece falls off.... and you step on it lol

@k_martensen

Wow, what a rambling thread in response to a reasonable question.  As you have already stated that you've bought your choice perhaps ask any further questions on a new thread or forum section and let this one lapse into the depth of history.

Hope you get some good clear nights with the new gear and please post impressions good/bad and what you've enjoyed viewing.

Regards

Steve

• Like 3

It's a pity they do not produce these TAL-1 telescopes anymore or nobody took over the concept. But maybe you still can find them second hand. They go for around 50 € I have seen.

I bought mine in 2003 for 350 € and have not used anything else up to now. They are built like to last for 1000 years and optically they are top notch

npz-1125-1500x1500.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, allworlds said:

A bit off topic but what's going on with the field stop there?

A bit of artistic license, is all.  🖌️

For example, the "Moon Monster"...

1363173216_MoonMonster2.JPG.640330ee30ce07b99665c0191d508772.JPG

Then, it's only an afocal shot, like that taken with a "smartphone".

Edited by Alan64

6 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

@k_martensen

Wow, what a rambling thread in response to a reasonable question.  As you have already stated that you've bought your choice perhaps ask any further questions on a new thread or forum section and let this one lapse into the depth of history.

Hope you get some good clear nights with the new gear and please post impressions good/bad and what you've enjoyed viewing.

Regards

Steve

Haha yup it went a bit off the skide, but there is some good view in here, and I got the help i needed, so it's okay with me 😀 I'm actually about to post some pictures of the moon i took this evening.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, starhiker said:

How did you reduce the brightness on the moon surface away from the shades? I can only resolve the details around the boundary of the shade part because of the brightness.

I've sent you a PM.

• Like 1