SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Takahashi FS128 alert..

F15Rules

Just in case anyone might be interested, I noticed there is one of these for sale on fleabay just listed today..

Nothing to do with me, and mine isn't going anywhere, just interested as they don't come up very often..I know, because I waited for 3 years for one to come up!πŸ₯΄πŸ˜‚

Dave

42 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Looks in fairly good nik Dave, wonder about that dew spot that’s mentioned πŸ€”

Hi Iain,

I think it's a nice example, not mint or excellent but the seller (whom I think, but don't know for sure, used to own Peak2Valley instruments), has only claimed it as being in "fair" condition..

I don't think the "dew spot" is a deal breaker, but hard to be sure without a physical inspection..

I personally think it's a bit on the high side price wise, but he invites offers so probably room for some negotiation..

Dave

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Looks like they are selling some other nice kit. I just picked up a Tak finder IlluminatorΒ 

Yeah, I did wonder if it's a job lot from a once complete outfit that's being broken up for individual sale? The original FS128 would almost certainly have had an included 7x50 Tak finder, for example...

Dave

2 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Yeah, I did wonder if it's a job lot from a once complete outfit that's being broken up for individual sale? The original FS128 would almost certainly have had an included 7x50 Tak finder, for example...

Dave

I wondered the same. Some nice Tak stuff including an FOA60.Β 
I like the look of the binoviewers but Denis from Croatia review was not encouraging. More of a Tak collector’s item.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I wondered the same. Some nice Tak stuff including an FOA60.Β 
I like the look of the binoviewers but Denis from Croatia review was not encouraging. More of a Tak collector’s item.

My thoughts exactly..there was another Twin View Starbase on the Bay a couple of months ago and it was a bit cheaper, so I was intrigued by it..

..but the few reviews of it that I could find mentioned a lot of ghosting on moon and planets as I recall, which put me off..

And the statement that Takahashi only made these for one year perhaps tells its own story..πŸ€”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Iain,

I think it's a nice example, not mint or excellent but the seller (whom I think, but don't know for sure, used to own Peak2Valley instruments), has only claimed it as being in "fair" condition..

I don't think the "dew spot" is a deal breaker, but hard to be sure without a physical inspection..

I personally think it's a bit on the high side price wise, but he invites offers so probably room for some negotiation..

Dave

I’d love to try one out but I’m more than happy with my FC-100DL for the time being.Β 
As far as the dew spot goes If it’s on the outside of the lens that should clean off fairly easily, anywhere else I’m not so sure?
Like you say Dave you need a proper look to be sure πŸ€”

• Like 2

I've been trying to avoid this thread but the pull was too much :) I think the 128 is just too big and heavy for me but I was absolutely fascinated by the Twin Views. Spent half an hour researching them and must have seen the same reviews asΒ @F15Rules; ghosting, only so so on the views but mechanically excellent. Small clear aperture too? Anyway, much as I'd love a pair, just because they are Tak and rare and interesting, I managed to resist. I value my relationship too much :)

MalcolmΒ 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

I've been trying to avoid this thread but the pull was too much :) I think the 128 is just too big and heavy for meΒ 

If Dave can handle it, I’m sure you can too Malcom 😊

Especially as you are wisely giving a pass on the BV.

My finder Illuminator was posted this morningΒ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

If Dave can handle it, I’m sure you can too Malcom

Putting up a challenge eh? :)

A finder illuminator sounds a good idea. I've been conscious recently of not being able to see the cross hairs when looking for dimmer targets!

MalcolmΒ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

I've been trying to avoid this thread but the pull was too much :) I think the 128 is just too big and heavy for me but I was absolutely fascinated by the Twin Views. Spent half an hour researching them and must have seen the same reviews asΒ @F15Rules; ghosting, only so so on the views but mechanically excellent. Small clear aperture too? Anyway, much as I'd love a pair, just because they are Tak and rare and interesting, I managed to resist. I value my relationship too much :)

MalcolmΒ 

I felt just the same. The Twin Views look great, but at the end of the day it's the views that count, and for that price you could almost get a pair of new Maxbright MKII's.

At the moment I'm happy with my trusty older Revelation binoviewers, they work well in the TakπŸ‘.

Dave

• Like 2

19 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Maybe - but it’s less than the price of a new Tak 4” F/8 Fluorite doublet.

Just for clarity - it’s not mine.

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

Maybe - but it’s less than the price of a new Tak 4” F/8 Fluorite doublet.

Just for clarity - it’s not mine.

I don't disagree, David, but to be paying his asking price, I'd be wanting the original parts that it would have been sold with, including the 7x50mm finder, which appears to have been offered separately, along with the illuminator which Jeremy has got his handles, sorry, hands on..😁.

I think the original (and excellent) clamshell tube ring is included though, and there seems to be an electric focusing unit as well?

I think I'd want to do a physical check on the scope before committing to buy at that price, given his comments about bodywork touch ups and "fair condition". But if all of that checks out ok, you and I both know what a wonderful refractor the FS128 is πŸ‘.

Dave

• Haha 1