SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M51, the jinx is broken, I think

philj

Over the years I have tried M51 many times and I don't know what it is about this DSO but I have never been able to get a decent image of it. Either the weather has been against me, kit throws a wobbler or I throw a wobbler forgetting to do something or tripping over something. At times I have felt it's jinxed for me.

The past week I've got my 102ED / HEQ5 mobile rig rehashed and sorted so I used this last night to get 2.5 hours of 4 minute subs at 800 asa. I couldn't beleive it when the sky stayed clear till about 01:00 enough time to give me decent depth.

So here's my go at M51 and friends, through the OTB 102ED with WO Flattener 2, Canon 1000D. Guided with Mintron through Aldi scope all working together through my Acer Netbook

Another hour or so of subs would have been nice but Im happy to eventually get a deepish shot of it without the usual trauma. Hope you like it

Phil

post-14930-133877363664_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, yep I am really chuffed that I finally got a useable image of M51, the jinx is broken at last I hope. I like the colour in this galaxy so I upped the saturation a bit, just enough to show it off but not too over the top I think.

I wouldn't say everything went swimmingly though, the netbook decided it didn't want to talk to the USB converter that was operating the camera. Spent a bit of time head scratching then finally sussed it and it all worked. But not before I had visions of it all going pear shaped again:)

Phil

Archived