Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fixing DSLR Sensor Tilt

Alijah12

I did a HA mod on my camera but seem to have sensor tilt now its reasonable on 3 corners but bottom left it pretty bad. Wondering how I know how far to screw in or unscrew the torque screws to get the sensor flat. I've also heard of a tilt adjuster wondering if those would fix it also. Thanks.

Edited by Alijah12

7 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

The only way to determine sensor tilt is on a purpose jig with only the camera on there. If your judging tilt by shape of stars on an image, them you would need to rule out collimation, focuser, flattener spacing etc. 

I am just using a Dslr and lens

38 minutes ago, Alijah12 said:

I am just using a Dslr and lens

What lens? Kit lens? Prime lens? The quality varies a lot! I had a couple of expensive Canon lenses that were great for what they were intended, terrestrial photography, but hopeless for astrophotography if you judged their performance by star shape.

Ok I'll clarify a bit, I have a 100mm f2.8 macro canon lens works quite well for stars I have used it on a canon T7i Works very well I astro modified my canon t4i and didn't get the torque screw length perfect kinda just eyeballed it Here are example images The first one is modified the second one isn't. First one was taken through a thin layer of clouds just to test so that might have an effect idk but thats why deneb is so wonkyIMG_5658.thumb.JPG.ea18c3abc94de7d96ff5b81afd7c27d0.JPGBottom left corner is kinda the problem honestly tho as long as there is no nebulosity there that I want I have tried and I can fix the stars to an extent also I always crop in a bit IMG_5668.thumb.jpg.9faef5117e58587fb27327ad6df7586b.jpg

Both images taken at f4 btw.

Edited by Alijah12